35 - 38

35. Wedding Day

Shuri smoothed out her beautiful Talokan dress. Her headdress was similar to his but had soft, black panther ears. The base of her dress was white, but the assorted jewelry made her look colorful. She had to argue for some Wakandan sensibilities like the Ankara pattern at the end of the dress and the traditional wedding face paint. She was already giving up so much.

Her groom was arguably handsome. It had to be with effort that he kept the smugness off his face. During his vows, she swore Namor almost got choked up. His steady gaze never left hers even when his eyes threatened to swim with water.

Maybe her mother's eyes wouldn't have been dry either at her only daughter's wedding if—

But it was no time for that train of thought. She murmured and mumbled through her own vows. Namor's vows were beautiful and poetic.

Hers was only "I'll try not to kill him, and enjoy his pretty eyes." She only added the compliment as a concession though a younger Shuri from what felt like a lifetime ago had once gotten lost in them. His eyes were both warming and dark and murky like the depths of the ocean.

The Talokans in attendance clapped loudly either thinking she was funny, not understanding her English, or celebrating at the sincere smile on Namor's face. Her guess was the language barrier though she was sure Attuma and Namora understood. Nakia and M'Baku cringed. The Dora Milaje didn't smile in solidarity with their princess making the best of the situation. Only Toussaint smiled and bounced on his feet at the wedding celebrations.

The Wakandan wedding drums were beaten mightily, and the citizens couldn't say no to a good time.

With no hesitation, Namor finished vowing to love and kill for her. To warm her bed and stimulate her mind. To care for their children. To protect both their kingdoms. He accepted the marriage.

It felt as if every eye in Wakanda was tuned into Shuri's face. Namor tried to remain expressionless, but his eyes spoke for him. His hands holding hers trembled slightly.

"Before Bast and the beyond, Princess Shuri daughter of T'Chaka and Ramonda—" The Wakandan priest began. "Do you take K'uk'ulkan as your beloved? Your chosen one?"

This was nothing she would have chosen for herself. Closing her eyes, she reimagined the girlish thought she had when she first met him. The silly fleeting thought of how he'd look in a Wakandan wedding kaftan standing beside her.

She swallowed and forced herself to breathe through her nose. The music in the background and the people talking were muffled sounds compared to the noise of her own thoughts.

"Princess," he whispered. "Don't stall."

Shuri registered the feeling of Namor's strong hands clasping her own and the smell of mint on his breath. But her mind was elsewhere. It was what gave her peace. The night to come.

"I accept him as my husband," she said, her voice unwavering. Shuri met his gaze head-on, giving his hands a squeeze.

Namor visibly relaxed. A smile spread across his face. He got what he wanted, but she'd get what she wanted that night.

When he cupped her face, she let herself melt into the kiss. A few seconds longer than anyone would have required her to, she let her lips linger on his. Let her hand trail up his sturdy arm. Let him steady her from the lightheadedness she felt.

They pulled apart to cheering, even from the Wakandan people most likely swept away by emotions and a good wedding beat.

Their eyes were both half-lidded. If his mouth were any testament to his lovemaking, he wouldn't be a disappointment. In another universe, maybe they would enjoy themselves in the passion of love.