History pt. 5

His aunt, despite her anger, gently moved him out of the way. She shook her head at him.

Toussaint had never seen such a hateful look on Namor's face. Maybe now he had truly experienced the Wakandan rite of passage, to see his full wrath.

"You reek of ignorance!" Namor growled. "One of your Wakandan soldiers killed my children. Do you think me so heartless I'd not care to see life drain from the physical pieces of my soul? To know I could do nothing for them! I am a god who was brought down so weak! Toussaint, I watched my daughters die."

"I know! I don't make excuses for that. But you're not blameless either. My mother ... if the soldier hadn't killed Ixchel and Luna, would you have left Aunt Shuri go?" He asked the man he had once looked up to.

"No!"

Aunt Shuri opened her mouth to either scream or bite him.

"Why?" Toussaint roared. Why was he screaming too? Everything was happening too fast, and the room was too hot.

Namor's dark eyes were piercing. "I'd have kept her! I'd begged her to be my wife for she was already my soulmate."

For a moment, all the fight went out of Shuri. Her eyes sparkled in the recognition of the confession. Her shoulders lifted and her countenance visibly softened. If the deep brown of her skin would have allowed it, she may have blushed.

Then, the feeling of resentment bled through, covering Shuri whole. With panther strength, she promptly threw a chair at Namor's head.

Namor dodged but the leg of the chair had still boxed his ear. A flurry of other chairs, nameplates, and heavy furniture followed after.

"You're full of it, almighty K'uk'ulkan." She sneered. "No one could fault you if you killed Nakia. You would've been well in your right not that I would've let you. But no, your all-consuming rage cast many souls to the ancestral realm." She made her eyes wide, saying in a condescending tone. "Not everyone can swim, dear."

He returned her hateful fervor. "Shame. I guess that's true for some."

"You bastard! If you're insinuating—"

Namor held up a hand. "Shuri, no. I don't mock her death. It's done and in the past. She made her decision and gave her life for another. She was foolish to cross me, but noble." His voice was softer. "Queen Ramonda raised you well."

Shuri hissed, feeling her eyes water in frustration. "Shut your mouth and never speak again."

Toussaint swallowed hard. How did things go wrong so fast? He shook his head, laughing to himself, unhinged.

Everyone could see it but him. He truly was a stupid child. Why didn't he just leave well enough alone? He made them dig up these old feelings just to torture themselves for his sake. Love wasn't always enough. His loneliness and need for a family made him project. Project love that should have stayed dormant.

With a quiet voice, Toussaint spoke up. "Namor, leave before I make you leave. You're not welcome in Wakanda and certainly not with her." He turned to Shuri whose watery eyes glittered. "Aunty, forgive me. I didn't know. I just didn't know. I wouldn't have put you through this if I had."

His aunt wiped at her eyes. She was probably angry at herself for letting Namor know how much he still affected her. A bit guilty too for no fault of her own.

Namor gave a slow nod, surveying the council room. Seeing the wreckage of furniture and the emotional state of Shuri. She had reached the boiling point.

"I see you've made your choice, Young Panther," he said, adjusting his cape. "Fine. I'll take my leave. The next time you contact me it should concern Talokan."