Chapter 16

"From now on, I, the Dean, Caspian Fester, am your new professor

"From now on, I, the Dean, Caspian Fester, am your new professor." He said with a glint in his eye.

"Today will be an introductory class. I will teach the basics of honing your gifts and releasing them in a safe and secure manner. If you're expecting a battle then unfortunately you will be disappointed. Now can everyone space themselves one metre away from each other."

Ella shuffled along with her other classmates. She was nestled beside Merula to her left and Wulff to her right.

"Good. I see we have some exceptional talent in this class." The Dean glanced around, making eye contact with Ella.

[Uhh...why is he staring at me so intensely...awkward.] Ella turned her head, facing Wulff instead on instinct. She gave a knowing look to him, expressing her awkwardness before they both smiled.

"I want you all to sit down, cross-legged. Take a deep breath and close your eyes. Continue your breaths and focus on your mana."

Ella took a deep breath focusing on her breathing. As she continued, she saw little specks of light, flying around her vision.

"Your mana is located in the centre of your chest. If you see a golden light, that's even better, as that is your internal mana. Once you recognise this feeling and energy, try to visualise it throughout your entire body, from your hands to your toes."

Feeling the energy that the dots of mana gave her, Ella felt a surge of energy run throughout her entire body, as if she was a new person.

"Slowly open your eyes, and imagine your gift floating in the palm of your hand, just like this."

Opening her eyes, Ella saw the Dean conjure a ball of fire in his hands, the soft orange flames shining bright. She turned to her hands, imagining the energy and light in her palms. As she felt the warmth seep through her fingers, a soft ball of light appeared in her palm.

"Oh my god! I did it." She gasped.

Playing around with the ball of light, she made it roll around and even jump in her hands. Completely immersed in her gifts, the students around her were all the same, with a buzz of excitement in the air.

"Now students, be careful when handling your gift. If you don't handle it with caution you might end up-"

There was a loud gust of wind before a male student's body was flung in the air, landing with a groan.

"You might end up like poor Rian over here." The Dean sighed, before checking to see the student's injuries.

As Ella turned to see her friend's progress, she was fascinated to see dark spirals floating in Merula's hand.

"Merula, that's amazing! Your gift is so beautiful."

"You think so? Thank you, Ella." Merula giggled. The dark spirals had hints of purple and blue like a galaxy, making Ella's eyes mesmerised. She could also see the Crown Prince in a trance like herself.

As she gave an encouraging look to Prince Blaiz ("go on, talk to Merula!"), she saw Wulff's hand glow with a green orb.

"It's beautiful, Wulff," Ella said in awe.

"Yours is more beautiful. Show me more, Ella." Wulff said.

"Huh, okay." Her hands glowed a bright light in a bowl-like position. Wulff coming closer, place his hands adjacent to hers.

As she admired their gifts, Ella was unaware of the deep, warm gaze from Wulff.

"It's beautiful," Wulff said.

"Yes...it is." As Ella turned to Wulff, looking into his eyes. As they continued to stare at each other, Ella unknowingly caught the eye of their friends.

"It seems they're both having a moment," Merula said.

"Indeed, my dear fiancee." The Prince answered causing a cherry blush to appear on Merula's cheeks.

"Hey, guys! Look at what I can do!" Damien came over to the group, his hand full of a misty, cloud-like shape.

"That's great, Damien. Your gift looks just like a cloud." Ella said, admiring the cloud-like gift.

"Very representative of your gift," Wulff uttered.

"Oh right! Damien, you haven't been introduced to Blaiz have you?" Ella asked.

"Blaiz, you mean the Crown Prince?!" Damien's eyes appeared like giant golf balls making Merula giggle.

"Yes, that Blaiz, kiddo. Damien this is Blaiz, or the Prince of Lumiere, aka also Merula's fiancee. Blaize, this is our newfound friend, Damien, a future knight-in-training."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Damien," Blaize told him.

"Huh-I-, it's a pleasure to meet you too, Sir. I apologise for my rudeness! But I will make sure to make it up to you as a future knight for the kingdom!" Damien exclaimed proudly.

"Woah," Ella muttered.

"Thank you, Damien. But we are here in the academy so there's no need to be polite. Just call me Blaiz." The Prince smiled gently.

"Of course, sir!" Damien saluted.

"Yeah, that's about as good as it's gonna get Blaiz, out of this kid." Ella chuckled.

Suddenly the Dean called out to the class.

"Alright students, congratulations on summoning your gifts! Be sure to practise hard. For our next class, we'll be focusing on exerting our gifts in self-defence. Class dismissed!"

-

As the group parted ways for the next class, Ella was eager to know what she'd learn in her first class in Cooking. Walking closer to the classroom, the smell of vanilla and cinnamon wafted through the air, luring students inside.

"Come in students, food and learning awaits!" Professor Hemmings stood by the classroom door.

Ella hurried inside, choosing a seat beside a tanned girl with orange pigtails. The class went quickly, as she learned about the basics of cooking and using magical kitchen tools. While the concept of electricity was unknown in Lumiere, they had magical tools that heated and cooled food items. The magical tools also happened to look eerily similar to the ones back on Earth such as an oven, fridge and even a microwave.

At the end of the class, they made a simple omelette wrap filled with mushrooms and vegetables. Munching on the wrap, Ella realised she was still nowhere close to knowing who the enemies were.

 Munching on the wrap, Ella realised she was still nowhere close to knowing who the enemies were