18

"I told you, you needed an upgrade, Rocket." Arden complained on the phone, walking into Tony's old lab at the compound.

Stopping in her tracks when she spotted Steve sitting in a chair, standing up quickly when she walked in.

"I gotta go. Call me if you need anything else." Arden hung up the phone.

"Steve, hi." Arden greeted him, tucking her phone in her back pocket.

"Sorry, Nat told me the lab would be the best place to find you." He replied, crossing his arms. Arden shook her head, unsure whether or not to walk closer to him or not.

"Yeah, I kinda took over Tony's lab." Arden confirmed and he chuckled, looking around at the changes and her new projects.

"Hope I didn't keep you waiting long." She apologized, leaning against one of the tables.

"I tried calling you." Steve mentioned, tucking his hands into his pockets.

"Yeah, I've been out of reach. On a different planet and all." She teases, and it finally grants her a smile from him.

"Nat told me Rocket needed your help on something."

"Surprised he even asked for help. He's stubborn." Arden added, walking around to him, taking a seat in front of the computer, dropping her bag.

"What can I do for you, Steve?" She asked, turning around to face him again.

He took a deep breath, crossing his arms. "Can we talk?"

"Should we go somewhere more comfortable than computer chairs?" Arden joked, and he smiled, nodding, leading them both out into the common area.

They both took a seat on the couch, opposite ends, facing each other, only a couple feet away from each other.

"I'm sorry." They both apologized in unison.

Laughing at the mockery, awkwardly smiling at each other.

"Oh man, where should we start?" Arden sighed, resting her elbow on the back of the couch.

"Maybe what Tony said. We start there." Steve suggested.

She nodded, taking a deep breath before reminiscing the thoughts from all those years ago.

"I worked for Howard for years. Assisting him on his projects, even the secretive ones like making you a shield, and fighting HYDRA. That's how I met Peggy, and that's how I met you." Arden started, Steve confused and surprised, but she continued.

"Howard sent me to the camp where you trained. Peggy and I bonded over our annoyance of Howard, and she asked for my opinion on the soldiers for the experiment. I helped her pick you. The little soldier who was brave enough to jump on top of a fake grenade to protect men he didn't even know."

"How did you- were you there?"

She chuckled, nodding her head. "Watching from a distance."

He smirked, rubbing his beard which distracted Arden. Not being able to be close to him in months, she found him more attractive than ever with his grown out stubble.

"Why didn't I ever see you around?"

"That's because it's polite to only have eyes for one woman at a time, and your eyes were occupied by Peggy." Arden smirked.

"So you two were friends?" He asked, fidgeting with his fingers, not completely sure he wanted to know the answer.

"The best of friends, actually." She smiled to herself. "She called me after you went down in the ice. I stayed with her, helped her get through it, and she was the first person I ever told my secret to."