Chapter 4

DO VOTE AND COMMENT. I LOVE READING YOUR OPINIONS AND REACTIONS.

"I'm asking you to climb on me, Thea."

"Can I?"

I could've sworn that I saw the wolf grinning before he answered me in my head,

"Only you can. I'm your wolf after all, my future crest holder."

An unknown emotion crawled over me as I gingerly placed my hand on his furry shoulder for support before straddling him. He was huge and his size had made it difficult for me to get a good grip on him. I was trying to clutch his back with my thighs but his built was so broad that it left my legs wide open while sitting on top of him.

"Where do you want to go?"

His question surprised me. Not only was he letting me ride on top of him but he was also letting me choose the place. I wasn't used to superiors being this mellow.

"The Barren Lands."

Silence followed my answer.

'Fuck.'

Only after I had said it, did I realize what stupidity I had committed in my sheer excitement.

The Barren Lands was the place where The Great War between the Rogues and The Werewolf King had taken place almost two decades ago. The same place where, without the mass's knowledge, King Erebus' body had gone into a deep sleep.

'Did I upset him?'

"You did not upset me. I'm just going through your memories to find a route without any patrolling guards around you pack's territory."

His voice that echoed in my head didn't hold any scolding tone. He had explained everything very calmly to me, even though he didn't need to.

"Hold tight."

Trying to grip his back somehow, I leaned down towards his shoulders. Before I knew it, he had already started sprinting forward.

The first thing I registered was the speed we were going at. His giant wolf seemed to be soaring through the darkness. My eyesight was better than a normal human but not as good as an adult werewolf's vision due to which I could hardly see our surroundings. Everything around has turned into one big blob for me, Erebus on the other hand seemed like he was seeing exceptionally well despite the pace he was going at.

Subconsciously I let my arms encircle the back of Erebus's black wolf as the chilly wind slapping my cheeks got a bit too much to bear. Erebus didn't seem much fazed by it.

He was giving off a warmth that I had never once experienced. I had witnessed such interactions between mates, one saying the exact thing that the other wanted to hear. Their presence providing silent comfort to the other. It was a beautiful exchange to behold. I would be lying if I said I had never wanted that for myself, I did.

I was a child who had grown up in an environment filled with love and adoration. I was an Alpha's sole heir born after many years of trials. My parents treated me like a blessing, my father especially until the day I turned eighteen without experiencing my first shift. It was probably because he couldn't pass his title on to a child that had failed to turn into a wolf. In my eyes, his worry was justified which is why I could never bring myself to hate him. He had spoiled me to my bones while I was growing up yet I couldn't give him one thing that he required of me. I couldn't inherit his title.

The thought made me tighten my hold around Erebus's fur.

Turning into a loner after growing up as the child who was loved by everyone was hard. My relationship with my parents had deteriorated and I didn't have any friends or relatives to rely on for emotional support. But for the first time in years I had someone to lean on, practically.