Chapter 14

Unedited. Been awake for 22 hours. Couldn't write it the way I wanted to. This chapter sucks.

There weren't many stars in the sky. The moon of the thirteenth, in its lone voyage, shone brightly above us. Its light was cascading down on the trees lining both sides of the road. It kissed the top of their heads before dripping down, slipping between their branches and eventually reaching the ground to create a path full of melted silver.

On that long endless road covered by the essence of moonlight, our car treaded silently. Beta Lucas had been driving for hours. We weren't running in our wolf forms as our scents would become stronger that way, aiding Lyken in catching up to us faster, this plus the fact that I couldn't shift except for on full moons.

After spending some time reading the Liber, Erebus had given the reigns of my body back to me. He had been awfully confident while strolling out of the house but as the adrenaline wore down and he realized that my body didn't have the ability to heal swiftly like a normal werewolf, the guilt of injuring me had turned him mum.

Lyken had banged my head quite hard against the shelf. Even though I had tried cleaning my face with a wet towel, patches of dried blood still clung to my scalp. I was leaning my head against the window, watching the trees pass by for the last several hours.

The car ride so far had been one big awkward experience. My dad was pissed at Erebus for getting me injured. Beta Lucas had taken one look at my brown colored eyes and gone back to driving. Since the moment I had stepped inside this car no one had said a word. Everyone was drowned in their own thought, until I decided to break this suffocating silence,

"How long till we get there?"

"We're near, sugar plum. Just rest for the time being."

Even though my father had called me sugar plum, his tone wasn't exactly soft. He sounded like he was barely able to control himself from bursting into a fit of rage.

"His anger is justified. I put your safety at risk."

After such a long pause, Erebus had finally decided to speak to me. His voice was sounding like music to my ears.

'You did what you had to do. No one knew the exact location of Liber. It had to be you.'

"I could've guided and sent Lucas there."

As he said this, I watched him raise my hand to graze the side of my head. He was checking how the wound was healing.

'It would've taken some time for Lucas to find Liber. You saw how we were barely able to get our hands on the book before Lykan found us. Lucas wouldn't have been able to hold him off.'

I waited a few moments for him to answer me but he never did.

'Are you regretting it now?'

"No, Thea. I'm only reflecting at my mistake."

'Let it go. You did what you had to do. Things happen.'

"You don't get it. This wasn't just a mistake. That's who I truly am. I've seen people shield the bodies of their mates before they could even think about their well being. I didn't shield you. I planned a strategy in my head, like a warrior and went through with it. That's who I am, a fighter. Only a fighter. I'm not a good soulmate because I was never meant to be one."

Hearing this I moved my head away from the window to lean back into my seat.

'I swear if my head wasn't killing me right now, I'd slap myself just to knock some sense into you. Stop saying stupid things.'