Chapter 11

'Will this work?'

"It has to. It's our only shot at making this work."

'I'm nervous.'

"Try to calm down. Enforcers are notorious for picking up on emotions by their scents. They'll sense your fear."

'I said I was nervous. I didn't say I was scared.'

"You didn't need to say it. I can feel it. I live inside you, remember?"

'I'd rather you didn't.'

"That's not what you were saying on the night of the last full moon. What was it again? We're gonna find my body and we're fuc-"

"Stop!"

My body moved forward with a jerk as my father suddenly pressed on the brakes. The car came to a halt with a loud screech as I dug my nails on the side of the seat trying to calm my racing heart.

"Why would you do that, dad?!"

I was staring wide eyed at the empty road, my chest heaving before I whipped my head to stare at my dad inquisitively only to find my dad staring back at me with the same expression plastered on his face.

"You asked me to."

He had said it in a duh tone.

"I didn- Oh..."

I stopped as I realized I had yelled out the last part of my conversation with Erebus.

"Every day with you is pure entertainment."

'Ugh, shut up.'

To say we had grown close after the encounter from the last full moon wouldn't be wrong.

I was afraid of disrespecting him in the start. He was the king, training me to become the future king, but it felt different now. He wasn't a superior to me anymore. He didn't even treat me like an equal. These days I felt like he treated me as if I were the superior one between us. He treated me special.

"You were talking to him. Weren't you?"

I blinked as I heard Alpha Adrian's voice bringing me back to our current situation.

He looked tired. We had been driving for three nights. If it weren't for me, he would have gone to the capital in his wolf form but as I couldn't shift except for the full moons, we had to use a car.

"Uh, yes."

A sour expression settled on his face as he let out a small sigh before restarting the car and continuing down the road.

We drove in silence for a few more minutes before we eventually passed a board reading, "Welcome to Wolfden"

'Wolfden... not a very subtle name.'

"I didn't name it."

'I doubt you'd be any creative in doing so.'

"I named you, that too on the verge of death."

'You named me?!'

I had been sprawled lazily on my seat. Upon hearing his confession, I immediately sat upright before turning to look at my father.

"Dad, did King Erebus name me?"

My father's grip on the steering wheel slowly tightened as he took a small breath before muttering a low affirmation.

"Yeah."

"Why?"

He clearly looked uncomfortable talking about it.