Chapter 33

"Huff... Huff..."

Loud pants escaped my lips as my feet pushed against the wet gravel in an attempt to reach my destination sooner.

I felt like a dandelion, weightless, worthless. No one planted me out of their love or fondness for me. I grew on my own like an unneeded weed, a short-lived herb that existed to provide hope to others, and even in my last moment, my seeds were scattered like ashes in order to help other let go of their grief and regret.

Both my birth and my death belonged to the people around me.

Whoever got to me first, would disperse my existence for their benefits and I could do nothing to stop them.

As my foot hit a small puddle of water, the splashing sound pulled me out of my thoughts. I realized that something warm was trickling down my cheeks. I was probably crying; I didn't know for sure. The rain pouring down on me made it difficult to decipher that.

My legs were giving up. I could feel them going numb.

"Just... a bit... more..."

I had to grit my teeth to stop myself from screaming.

Tears had blurred my vision to the point I couldn't distinguish one tree from the other. The darkness of night was only adding more misery to my night yet I was grateful for it; It hid my disheveled appearance from the world.

"Ugh..."

I almost collapsed after climbing up the porch stairs before I got up by pushing against the floor with the palm of my hands. Slowly I leaned back on well beside the front door while knocking on it lightly.

I didn't need to. His house was an open court for us, but I still wanted to. I wanted to make my presence known. I wanted him to allow me in himself.

"Look who shows up to my front door all wet."

The door opened to reveal a shirtless Marchosias smiling ear to ear but soon his grin dropped as he took in my disordered state.

My hair was a tangled mess. My wet locks were sticking to my face. My lips were trembling while my swollen eyes were staring helplessly at him.

"What happen-"

I didn't allow him to finish that sentence as I threw myself in his arms, clinging onto his bare skin for my dear life.

"Thea."

I didn't answer him, instead I only tightened my hold on his back.

"Baby,"

A whimper escaped my lips as I heard him say that word.

I could feel him trembling under my touch. He seemed angry. Shutting the door with one hand, he grabbed my waist with the other one, lifting me off of my feet as he started walking inside.

I sensed him climbing stairs, opening doors, but all this while I kept my head buried in his chest.

After a short while, I felt him seating me on something soft, a mattress. Letting me sit, he crouched on the ground, in between my legs while looking up at me with scrunched eyebrows.

"You need to tell me what happened, Thea. I didn't sense anything happening to you. Was it that witch's doing again? Did he do something to you?"

"I..."

I tried speaking but my throat hurt.

"I'll get you some water."

He was getting up from his kneeling position on the ground when my hand shot out to grab his forearm.