Chapter 39

IMPORTANT:

Starting this chapter, Bal's name is officially changed to Kai.

UNEDITED

The memories surrounding Marchosias kept spinning about him, stretching from the ground to the roof of that room we were standing inside. The rays coming from these reels were illuminating his features with a dull glow which somehow made his looks appear sharper.

I watched wordlessly as the vulnerability which had slipped through the cracks inside his resolve vanished like the tear that had traversed down his chin. If it weren’t for the dried streak left behind on his cheek, I wouldn’t even believe that I had witnessed something so raw with my own eyes.

I wanted to call out to him. Even if all of this had happened in the past, I still wished to comfort him.

As I was parting my lips to say something, the memories twirling around us started fading, one by one, until there was no light left. The room was embraced by pitch black darkness.

As I looked up to stare at the point where past Marchosias had been standing, I could only a pair of crimson eyes staring ahead unblinkingly.

The distinguished mischievous spark always residing in the depths of his gaze was gone completely. The soft look that his eyes had acquired over these past twelve years, it had all disappeared within the blink of an eye.

I couldn’t see his face but his cold gaze was more than enough to portray his inner thoughts.

Amaya Bastian was going to pay for these twelve long years.

Snap.

I blinked as I heard the sound of fingers snapping and before I knew it we were standing back in that plain black room.

“Stop with the pity looks. You look like a wet poodle when you do that.”

Marchosias’ deep voice reached my ears making me turn my head in his direction.

He was leaning against a wall with his hands folded in front of his chest.

“What…”

My voice came out higher in pitch than I had intended to, making me stop midway to cough and correct it.

“What happened after that?”

I asked again as I stared at him from across the room. He had once again put a significant distance between us.

“What happens when mommy and daddy bang day in, day out? Obviously, mommy gets pregnant, stupid baby.”

And he was back to being his usual sarcastic self.

Seeing the unamused expression on my face, Marchosias flashed me a big grin displaying all his teeth before he proceeded to say,

“A woman on abortifacients doesn’t just get pregnant out of nowhere. Amaya wasn’t stupid.”

I watched as Marchosias paused for a small moment to stare me up and down. He didn’t say it but I could guess it by the look he was giving me,

Amaya wasn’t stupid unlike you.

“Anyways, I needed to take Erebus away from her. She couldn’t just command me to kill Erebus through their shared mindlink. It’d be like asking Erebus to let me know to murder him at my earliest convenience.”

“That’s why you went to The Great War.”

I said it out loud in a surprised voice.

“So baby can use the thing between her eyes.”