Chapter 27

Apologies for the late update. It took me some time to settle the storyline. By the end of it, I was so tired that I was writing things like,

"He passed his hair through his hand in frustration."

"He passed his hand through his hand in frustration."

Enjoy!

"So the Moon Ashes pack being closest to the East Border can act as..."

I tuned out the rest of the sentence as I leaned back in my chair before glancing at both sides.

On my right, Alpha Dylan, a brunette with a pretty pair of green eyes was enthusiastically giving suggestions on improving the safety of both his pack and the capital while on the far end of my left side, at the head of the table, King Erebus stared hard at the young alpha, continuing to listen to his yapping without showing any emotion or giving any response.

'He's cute but OH. MY. GOD! Does this dude have a mute button?'

I had to press my lips to stop myself from sighing again. My dad had forced me to join it as his heir apparent. This meeting had been going on since for hours. The sun was close to setting now and we were yet to reach a conclusive plan.

Resisting the urge to click my tongue, I glanced sideways to steal a quick glance at Erebus. I had only meant to look at him briefly but my eyes almost popped out causing me to take a double take when I noticed that instead of staring hard at Alpha Dylan, Erebus' impassive gaze was now fixed at me.

'Cute. Is he?'

His voice sounded so unimpressed, I was hardly able to keep myself from laughing. Someone was jealous.

'Yes, like a puppy.'

Giving him a mischievious look, I turned my head to stare straight ahead. It felt nice having him here with me through this boring to death session. We weren't allowed to mind link each other during pack meetings unless it was extremely important, a major reason why I hadn't talked to Erebus all through his meeting; But if the rule maker was the one bending these rules, who was I to complain?

'I didn't know kittens took such interest in puppies.'

Hearing his reply, I opened and closed my mouth a few times, like a fish under water, my cheeks turning bright red in the process.

He had called me kitten, like before.

"Kitten's got some fierce moves."

I remembered him saying this to me when we were almost caught by the Beta of the Silver Knight pack. I didn't want to think about it much but the endearment had made a small glimmer of hope stretch its wings inside my heart. Deep down, I wanted him to remember our time together from when his soul was still residing inside me. I wanted him to fulfill his promise to me.

We had formed a close bond during those few months that we had spent together. I wanted that bond back.

"Enough for tonight. Beta Lucas will brief you about your roles. I will address you all tomorrow morning before you set off to your respective packs. I need to discuss and sort a few things before that."

Erebus' booming voice instantly put a stop to all the small bickering going on in the background.

"Any questions?"

He was leaning forward on the table with his interlinked hands resting in front of him as he paused to stare at every alpha in the room. As expected, no one dared to object.

A low scraping sound resonated through the quiet room as Erebus stood up from his place. He was clad in a tight-fitting black shirt paired with black slacks that were hugging his legs in all the right places. He was taller than all the alphas in the room and with all of us sitting, he appeared more intimidating as he towered over us with his strong built.