Chapter 40

Unedited. I haven't revised it even once.

A gust of wind struck our faces, blowing the black haired beauty's hair away from her face. As the wind parted the carefully tucked stream of raven hair, it revealed multiple markings closely resembling vines crawling up that girl's neck. They appeared ominous.

Instead of fumbling to hide it, the girl just stood rooted to her spot staring blankly at the man sprawled on the ground before her.

"What did you do to Kai, Amaya?"

Marchosias once again asked, but this time he had let out the question through gritted teeth.

Amaya blinked once, twice, before tilting her head to the side.

"He was getting in the way."

She was smart. She knew lying wouldn't get her anywhere with the Marquis of Hell.

"In the way of what?"

"Our way. I can't have you shifting the contract to anyone else. I can't have you leave me like everyone else does."

As she said this, she drew her eyebrows close to each other making her blue eyes appear bigger.

"You've been using black magic excessively. The markings on your neck form a clear evidence of that. What have you been up to?"

"Purging."

The frown plastered on her forehead dropped, making her look impassive once again.

Marchosias didn't reply. His glaring only got intensified urging Amaya to keep speaking.

"Don't you hate their stupid norms, Marchosias? You can't love, marry or start a family with anyone except for your mate. You live and die with your mate who's practically a stranger. You can't even choose that one person who you're going to spend the rest of your life with. You have no control over your life!"

The more she spoke, the louder her voice got.

"And then they go and contradict their own customs."

Straightening herself up, she took a few steps away from Marchosias.

"Kings can't be with their mates."

She spoke in a small voice while staring at the skies.

"Why?"

A small teardrop slid out of the corner of her right eye as she kept staring up at the skies with a helpless look on her face.

"If you died after your mate... why didn't Bastian die earlier? Why did he have to stay alive long enough to create me and leave me alone on this wretched place?"

The slow breeze blowing in the planes was playing with the ends of her hair. Her knuckles were turning white from gripping the collar of her trench coat in a tight hold. A few seconds later, she tugged on it making the coat hug her figure more closely.

From the corner of her eye, she could see Marchosias flinching. After all, it was only him who had caller her 'Daughter of Maria and Bastian' revealing her origins to her at such a tender age.

"Why did Maria have to go drinking like a brainless person and sleep with the first person alive that she could find?"

Marchosias stayed silent.

"Why did Adrian have to save me only to leave me secluded in the city with a dying nanny?!"

Her voice cracked in the end as she screamed at the heavens.

"Why did they have to merge my mate with a demon? Why did they have to steal my only friend? Why am I doomed to die alone?"

The veins of her neck were bulging out; her complexion had turned red and streaks of dried and fresh tears were streaming down her face.