4. Flare

Alan, Ellie and Clarie heard the thud. It shook the compound. 

"They are closer tonight." Ellie remarked. 

"Lena is working on trackers." Alan remarked. "So we can locate them, see when they are getting too far out of too close, but thats slow going. But our girl is smart, she can figure it out." 

"Maybe we can ask the king for some help." Ellie mused. 

"Not after how much Thumbelena scared them. I wouldnt be surprised if they wanted to go home in the morning." Clarie countered. 

"Give me a lite." Lena requested as she pulled her bag from her back and looked Alfie over. 

"How bad is it?" Owen asked lighting another flare. He held it up as Lena ran her hand over Alfie's scales. Alfie grumbled and huffed a breath as he stared back at her. 

"I'm helping, stop that." Lena instructed as she climbed up on his back. 

"Lena be careful." Owen begged. 

Owen and Lena knew the dangers of dinosaurs but Owen thought that his sister thought she was invincible. Untouchable at times the way she acted around them, as though they were large cats, not beasts that could kill her in a single chop. 

After all their years together on this island, all their training with the dinosaurs, Lena had become fearless and Owen worried that one day it would get her killed. 

"Toss me the flare." Lena requested holding out a hand. 

"Toss you a live flame?" Owen countered. "You're hilarious." Owen mused. Lena snapped her fingers not looking at him. 

"I found a bleeder, pretty big, best burn it now,'' Lena informed him snapping her fingers again. Owen reached up handing it to her instead. She lay flat against Alfie as she reached down grabbing it from him. "Alright, Alfie..." She saw his eyes drift to her. "Be a man." Owen took a nervous step back at Lena put the flare on Alfie's rough skin. He grumbled out, shifting uncomfortably. "Be a man, Alfie." Lena demanded holding tight as she cauterized the wound. He grumbled again before settling back down and Lena loosened her grip. 

"Fucking heart attack Lena!" Owen declared. 

"Works not done." Lena remarked sliding down. "Gotta find Tom." 

+

"What the hell was that?" Jace declared as the ground shook waking him and Luke up. 

"Earth quake?" Luke offered nervously. Jace peered nervously out the window but it was pitch black. 

Alicent couldnt sleep, the doors and windows reinforced, the don't go out after dark rules, the whole ground shaking and rattling the bed frame. 

Viserys fell asleep and stayed asleep. He liked the rooms, each chamber was decorated to look like different parts of the island, painted maps, he liked that he didnt hear the noise of guards or knights, just the grumbling of dinosaurs and wind blowing through the trees. 

Aegon had drank himself to sleep, drunk and snoring loudly. Helaena couldnt sleep next to him. She rarely slept in the same chamber as him but she didnt think she wanted to be alone. But Aegon was useless. She stared out the window, she saw bugs flying, whizzing by that she had never seen before. She squinted into the distance and swore she saw a dragon flying overhead. But she supposed there were flying dinosaurs as well. 

Rhaenyra was a wreck. Daemon had left hours ago and then the room shook. She loved him desperately but what she didnt understand, what she never understood that Daemon loved Daemon. He was a narcissist, said all the right things and with a smile as charming as his Rhaenyra could so easily pretend that everything was fine. Meanwhile, Daemon waited impatiently on Lena's bed. 

Aemond hadnt bothered to put his eye patch back on when he got out of bed. After all, everyone was supposed to be in their rooms. He peered out expecting the guards on the compound to be on full alert, horns blowing and torches lite, ready for a fight. But had he not felt the bed shake, knocking his book from the table in the process, he would have thought he imagined it.

Everything was silent. Dark too. He left his door open as he took cautious steps down the hall way. He glanced down at the courtyard when he heard voices. He leaned on the balcony railing trying to see in the darkness. 

"I'm going to the lab." Lena remarked adjusting her back on her shoulder. 

"It's late Lena, get some rest." Owen suggested. 

"No, I need to a make a few more smoke bombs." Lena countered. "Already had to use one to save Daemon's ass." She remarked with a smug smile. 

"Fucking the prince are you?" Owen shook his head. "Shameless, you are shameless."

"I didnt.' Lena corrected. "But he is in my bed and I won't be able to get any work done while hes trying to rip my clothes off."

"To much information Lena." Owen murmured. 

"You asked." Lena countered. 

"If you work until sun up, like I know you will. Are you going to be bright eyed and bushy tailed in the morning?" Owen mused. 

"No," Lena corrected as she walked off. "I will be sarcastic and torment the dragons into submission until I have them wrapped around my little finger."

"LENA!"

"I think the words you are looking for are, thank you Lena for not letting Prince Daemon get eaten on his first night, I'm so sorry we called you away from his cock to save the day." Lena replied with the smuggest of smiles. "Night Owennie!"

"Little punk." Owen called after her. 

Aemond watched her disappear and knew he wouldnt be getting any sleep so he decided that an adventure was worth the risk.