15. Trust Us

"He is a... Temperamental dick." Lena offered honestly. "But better than Musa's bite." She whistled again and heard wings in the air. She climbed on the table breaking the roof open and pulled herself up. She bent down and offered Daemon a hand up.

"This is fucking crazy, you are crazy!" Daemon declared as he reached for her hand.

"I get that a lot." Lena agreed.

+

"If we use the untested system and it works." Owen offered.

"If it doesnt we are flooded." Alan corrected.

"Up the tree." Owen agreed.

"What?" Aemond countered.

"You trust us?" Alan mused.

"NO!" Viserys and Alicent screamed back.

"Probably smart but, um, up you get." Owen agreed.

"Lena created it?" Aemond countered.

"She did." Alan agreed.

"I trust her." Aemond remarked and Alan put a hand over his heart.

"I hope you make it kid, Lena needs a good guy in her life." Alan declared giving him a pat on the back as Owen climbed up the ladder and high into the reinforced tubing and up into the tree.

+

"Quazie baby, thanks for the lift." Lena declared as she slid on. She reached for Daemon and he held tight to her as they flew back to the compound. "Good boy, Good boy." Lena coed scratching her nails over his back.

"That was... too easy." Daemon remarked unconvinced.

"I have a-" Lena began but Lizzie jumped up nipping at Quazies underside. "NO!" Lena demanded pounding a fist on his back. "NO!"

"What's wrong?" Daemon countered.

"He wants to fight her." Lena hissed.

"Right now?"

"Right the fuck now." Lena screamed as Quazie veered course and lunged at Lizzie. Daemon and Lena screamed out as he drove down jaws snapping at the water as Lizzie jumped up biting at his wings. "QUAZIE!" Lena screamed out holding on for dear life as they attacked. They were soaked in water and a mixture of blood as the dinosaurs snapped viciously at each other. "UP DAMNIT! SAVE US!"

+

"It's really raining." Helaena remarked.

"I know... Helaena i'm so sorry." Ellie remarked.

"They... you don't think..."

"I'm so sorry." Ellie repeated.

"Are we safe?"

"Safer." Ellie offered. Helaena nodded.

"Then if I'm going to die I want to learn everything I can." Helaena remarked.

"You are so much like me." Ellie remarked fondly. "Well the Kalligrammatidae is thought that their large body size and large wings would have made kalligrammatids weak fliers." Ellie moved around the lab to show Helaena. "Not deadly," Ellie thought she should mention that as she opened the containment cell. " The Wings color patterning on many species and the setae covering on Makarkinia are indications that the species are day-time fliers similar to butterflies. Do you see it?"

"I do, thats so interesting." Helaena agreed.

"The prevalence of eye spots in many species, the presence of light striping along the wing margins of what we called sophogramma were evolved to act as anti predator adaptations against predation from pterosaurs and other birds." Ellie went on.

"Pterosaurs... wings lizard?" Helaena questioned.

"Yes, thats right."

"And these little guys... helped fight against them?" Helaena questioned.

"In a sense." Ellie agreed. "And given the structuring of the mouthparts," Ellie moved a finger to better show Helaena "they are pollinators, feeding on pollen and plant juices, usually produced by Bennettitales and Cheirolepidiaceae. Those are types of plants on the island." Ellie explained. "The pollination behavior is nearly unique in the Neuroptera, most of which are predatory."

"You learn so much!" Helaena declared.

"Lena likes the solitude and observing the world. Sometimes she lets me in on her explorations but I do explore myself. There are plenty of safe areas on the island." Ellie looked to the door as it opened. 

"Excuse me," Criston said his face pale. "Where did everyone go?" 

"Ser Criston." Helaena remarked. "You were not with them?"

"No, I... the food. I don't know I wasnt feeling too well. I'm still not." Criston admitted. 

"They are perfectly fine." Ellie lied. "Please do rest, stay in your room. I will come fetch you." 

"Okay..." Criston agreed confused as he headed back to bed.

+

"What the..." Daemon began as he saw their megalodon coming up behind them.

"UP DAMNIT UP!" Lena screamed out, Quazie listened at the last moment as Meg crushed Lizzie between his teeth. Daemon heard every bone crushing chew as Quazie got smart and flew the fuck off.

"I have a latch on the roof. I'm going to lower you down and get to the west end." Lena remarked.

"You can't go out there." Daemon corrected.

"My brother is out there." Lena corrected. "I need to try." She slid down and broke the latch open and peered down. "Looks safe." Lena remarked waving a hand for Daemon. "Stay put right here." Lena instructed. "I'm going to lock you in." Daemon nodded and she kissed him again as he lowered down. "Just in case." Lena offered he smiled nervously up at her. "Oh and take this little guy for me. Protect him. Bame him."

"Baelon." Daemon declared taking the little long neck from her. "After my father,"

"Thats sweet." Lena remarked as she sealed the latch. "Quazie, no detours." Lena demanded.

+

"Worse than I thought." Owen remarked looking around as he pulled himself up.

"Viserys if we survive this, I'm going to kill you." Alicent hissed.

"If, key word love, if." Viserys agreed.

"Oh my... no lets go back." Alicent declared seeing the dinosaurs swimming around them.

"Back where mother?" Aemond countered.

"Down!" She declared but then Clarie screamed and Alan slammed the door closed under them as the room flooded below them and the baby predator X tore Clarie apart.

"Nope, down is not an option." Alan corrected.

"What do we do?" Viserys demanded.

"Climb." Owen offered.