17. Aftermath

Lena was curled into Aemond's side in the morning and Alicent thought she spent the whole night shaking in the corner of the room but she opened her eyes in the morning wishing it all a dream and she was back in westeros. In her bed. Safe and sound. She wasnt. 

"Hey gorgeous." Aemond whispered as she looked over at him. 

"Hi," she whispered back. "Survived night two. I'm impressed."

"I'm impressive." Aemond agreed. "I was thinking..."

"You want to make a run for it as soon as possible and never see another dinosaur again?" Lena mused but he brought a hand up to cup her cheek tilting her head to his. 

"What would you think about me staying?" Aemond corrected. 

"Staying?" Lena rasped. 

"Stay on the island." Aemond said hopefully. 

"For..." She urged. 

"For forever." Aemond clarified. "I don't have anything for me beside Vhagar on westeros. I dont want to leave. I want to stay here, right here." Aemond informed her honestly as his hand trailed along her side. "Learn from you. Learn about the island. Explore this place... explore... you." 

"Me." She mused fisting his shirt and bringing him closer. Alan snored softly behind them as Owen woke up rolling his shoulders back from sleeping on the hard ground. 

"You watched your family get eaten and attacked and you want to stay." Lena couldnt believe this amazing man in her arms. 

"Never much liked them." 

"Funny, Daemon said the same thing." Lena rasped.

"I like you. I want to stay. I want... this.. you." Aemond whispered. 

"I would like that." Lena agreed but she knew his mother the queen would not allow that. "But, arent you to be the king?"

Aemond stared back at her as his nose brushed against hers. 

"Your father, your brother, Rhaenyra was the heir and her heirs are gone." Lena reminded him softly. "You are to be king, succession and all that." 

"I used to want it." Aemond remarked. 

"But now?" 

"I dont want to spend my whole life in westeros when I know that there is so much more." Aemond said as his breath filled her lungs. 

"There is more than just right here." Lena said through an uneven breath as she felt his heart beat against her chest. 

"Lena Grady, you are the whole damn universe." Aemond corrected as he leaned closer to kiss her but Alicent whimpered out and he hesitated. 

"Are we, can we, I want to get Helaena and go home." Alicent begged. 

"Let me check." Lena countered as she got up. Aemond's hands trailed away from her. Lena yawned as she stretched her arms up. Daemon was quick to his feet giving her a lift up. Aemond hissed out a breath.  Lena turned the lever slowly, a few droplets of water came in as the seal opened breaking the compacted lock. 

"Thats a good sign." Alan remarked. Alicent stared back at him. "If more water came in, we would be flooded over the roof and..." Alan let out a pained laugh. Owen held up his blade for her and she gripped it tight before letting out a sharp beath. Daemon's hands tightened on her legs as she used his shoulders for balance. 

"Hasnt happened yet." Lena assured as she peered out the top lift. She brought the blade up with her in case something was ready to attack but it was sunny and bright, the water cleared away.

''All clear.'' Lena declared happily as she pulled herself out of the hatch.

The problem with the island was that it was an island and when it rained it poured and flooded easily. But then the aftermath was beautiful.

"We are leaving

"We are leaving." ALicent demanded. 

"I will go around." Lena assured calling back down to them. "Open the hatch on the ground level." 

"Thanks Lee." Owen agreed. Alicent stared back at him as Lena sealed the top hatch again. 

"Hey fellas." Lena declared as she walked around. The dinosaurs were usually in a better mood after the storm. They had enough areas of the island that never flooded, far to high up in the rocky plans and hills. Most of the dinosaurs knew when a storm was coming and started to take cover. 

Lena started doing her count as she walked around to the front of the compound. 

"LENA!" Ellie declared hugging her tight. 

"Oh thank the Gods." Lena agreed. "Is Helaena-"

"Hello." Helaena answered, Lena looked to the bug crawling up Helaena's arm. "This place is amazing." Lena choked out a laugh. 

"Can you open up the hatch, base level?" Lena asked ellie. 

"How many did we... lose." Ellie whispered. 

"I kept my guy and a baby dino alive." Lena informed her. "Alan and Owen didnt do as well." Ellie nodded understanding. 

"I think the guard is still okay," Ellie remarked. Lena stared back at her a moment before it clicked 

"The dornish one." Lena agreed. "I forgot about him." she admitted. "Big day yesterday."

"It was a bad one last night." Ellie remarked. 

"Fuck yeah it was. I need to check on the raptors." Lena remarked. 

"I got the humans." Ellie agreed. "Come on Helaena, you can help me get your family out and some food."

"BLUE!" Lena called out as she ran. 

Lena, Owen and Alan had created bunkers for the Dinosaurs as well. Their raptors were top priority. 

After the first flood on the island, Lena and Owen were just little kids. They didnt understand. Their parents had looked at the damage, the dinosaurs lost due to the flooding and here heart broken. The created bunkers and drilled into caves, they made the island safer for their dinosaurs that couldnt out swim the others. 

And it was like they had a truce when floods came. All the dinosaurs played nice and stayed quiet. Lena had crafted a sensor for the water levels. When they got too high the doors would seal. 

When it rained bells would ring with the raindrops and alert the dinosaurs of the possibility of flooding. The bells were around the caves and cages. 

Their raptors were smart enough to direct others, call out and keep each other safe. 

It was always the humans that had the most casualties since they had installed the extra precautions for the dinosaurs.

Humans though were stupid and always thought themselves untouchable.