<19>

RYUJIN

"Did you notice how cozy they looked?" Chaeryeong asked suspiciously. I assumed she was referring to Yeji's boyfriend hanging out with this new guy, Soobin. Although we had never seen them together before, it's not like Soobin was gay, so I couldn't understand why Chaeryeong was suspicious.

"What do you mean by cozy? They're just friends," Yeji replied as we entered the busy buffet restaurant. Yuna and Lia had already secured us a table and were eagerly perusing the menu.

"I'm just saying, you never know," Chaeryeong shrugged as we took our seats.

"I want pasta," Yuna declared, licking her lips.

"I want steak," Lia chimed in, flipping through the menu.

"Me too!" Yeji agreed after settling in.

"Am I the only one who wants soup right now?" Chaeryeong asked.

"Yes," everyone replied in unison, causing Chaeryeong to frown.

After going back and forth for about 10 minutes, we finally ordered our food. We ended up getting four main dishes just because everyone couldn't stop talking about what they wanted.

"Can we switch seats, Lia? I want to sit next to Yuna," Chaeryeong pleaded cutely, her hands clasped together. Yuna was looking at Lia with the same expression, and Lia gave up her seat. The two girls squealed and sat together, completely absorbed in their own world. Yeji, Lia, and I were now sitting together, with Yeji beside me and Lia on the other end.

"Oh yeah, Ryujin, the results for the soccer tryouts will be announced tomorrow at lunch. Are you going to check it out?" Lia tapped my arm to get my attention.

"Yes, but I don't know if I'll make it anyway. Can you check for me on Monday?" I interlocked my hands and pleaded with her. I didn't want to see the results for myself since it would be even worse. Having someone else tell me would lessen the disappointment.

"Sure," Lia shrugged.

"Oh shoot! We have to start studying for midterms next week," Yeji's eyes widened next to me as she held up her index finger. I had completely forgotten about the midterms. I hadn't even memorized the new math formulas.

"Can you guys help me study, please? I don't even remember the math formula you taught me last time," I sighed, putting my hands in my hair.

"You'd better get them down, or else you'll probably fail," Lia chuckled. Just then, the waiter arrived with our food on a tray.

"Thank you. But yes, Lia is correct. You should start studying," Yeji patted my back lightly before grabbing her utensils and starting to eat.

-

THE DAY AFTER

-

YEJI

"Hey Yeji," Yeonjun called out to me.

"Hi Yeonjun, I need to get to class, so I'll talk to you later," I replied, running past him and squeezing through the crowd. Lately, Yeonjun and I had barely talked, and I didn't know why. Maybe his timing was always off, or maybe I just had too much going on.