<40>

RYUJIN

fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck!

the worst-case scenario had just happened. because of my stupid plan to ignore her, yeji got into an accident. it's all my fault.

god, if I didn't ignore her. if I hadn't set up the plan this way if only I had another plan that didn't involve ignoring her in any sort of way.

if only I answered her calls.

if only.

"is she out yet?" chaeryeong asked as she sat down beside me, panting for oxygen.

"no..." I muttered, staring at the rose in my hand that I was planning to give to her once she had reached my backyard and read my message.

"is yeji-unnie okay?" I heard yuna yell from down the hall as she and lia run toward us with worried looks.

"I...don't know."

"why weren't you answering our calls and messages?" chaeryeong asked me.

"I was planning something... I didn't want yeji to find out." I mumbled, avoiding all of their eye contact.

"where's yeji?" I heard mrs. hwang and mr. hwang's voice boom down the hall. I immediately stood up and bowed at a 90-degree angle.

"I'm sorry, mr and mrs. hwang. it was all my fault. I'm deeply sorry." my voice cracked as the tears finally start to form. I cried so much seeing yeji being hurried into the ambulance that I no longer could cry in the hospital.

"what are you talking about? did you cause the accident?" mr. hwang asked with eagerness, there was a bit of anger in his tone which I noticed.

"I didn't cause the accident but it was all my fault. I ignored yeji's messages and calls just because of a surprise. I'm so sorry. this was all because of me, she was speeding because of me. I-"

"stop, stop, stop. this is hurting my head." mrs. hwang sighed. "stand up straight first, dear. I want to see your face."

I obeyed and fixed my posture, avoiding their eyes that were piercing into my skin as I stood.

"what happened?" mrs. hwang asked with a gentle tone which I was grateful for.

"I... was going to ask her out. a part of my surprise was to ignore her so she could come to my house to see the surprise..." I replied with my eyes on the ground.

"was it necessary?" mr. hwang asked.

"...no, sir. I regret including that as a part of my plan." I bowed once again.

"ryujin?" I heard hyunjin's voice from afar, I glanced up and saw her running towards us with heejin behind.

"mrs and mr. hwang! it wasn't ryujin's fault! I didn't explain anything when I called yeji so it was my fault that she got worried and rushed out of the house." hyunjin explained right when she got near us.

"no, it was my fault." I argued.

"no, it wasn't. I could have assured her that nothing was wrong!"

"but it was my plan! I made you do it." I sighed.

"is hwang yeji's parents present?" the doctor's voice invaded our argument.

"we're here."

"how is she?" I asked mr and mrs. hwang right after the doctor left. they didn't seem to be mourning.

"they said she's okay, she just has bruises and possibly neck pain." mr. hwang explained.