20.

ELEXIA wasn't sure what was going on when she awoke in a bland hotel room, on a hard bed with a cold body sitting next to hers.

Her gaze met Jasper's after a moment of searching the room in confusion. Calmness filled her body before any other emotion could take place. She must've been so exhausted in the car, because she fell asleep almost immediately as they began driving. She remembered Jasper draping her across the seats of the backseat, her legs resting partially on Bella - who did not complain. The last words she heard were those of the blond empath, telling her it was alright to sleep, and how he knew she was exhausted.

"We're in Phoenix, Lex," Jasper informed her after a comforting smile. The clock above Elexia's head read three o'clock, but the curtains were closed so tightly, she had no idea whether it was night, or day. She finally sat up.

A knock on the door made her jump.

"It's Alice and Bella. Can we come in?"

"Yes," Elexia finally spoke, her voice drenched with fatigue.

"Still tired?" Alice frowned when they walked into the room. She stopped in front of Elexia's bed.

"A little,"

"We'll need to stay inside," she informed her. Elexia only nodded.

"Do you need anything? Food, water?" Alice asked softly, walking past Jasper to put a hand on Elexia's shoulder. Bella sat on the corner of the other bed.

"Not for now. Thank you."

"I have some food for you in the other room. I know you're eating for two, so I made sure to get as much as I could."

"Thank you." Elexia smiled at her consideration. "Have you heard anything from the others?"

"No." Alice sadly smiled at her. Bella had asked the same question earlier.

"Let's go in the living room and hang out, yeah?" Alice smiled, taking Elexia's hand and helping her off the bed. Bella walked in front of them, and Jasper walked behind.

The blond moved to go sit at a desk, while Bella sat on the floor. Elexia and Alice opted for the couch.

Bella and Elexia began eating some bagels, but after a few minutes of sitting, the eery stillness of the two vampires in the room made them both anxious. They looked at each other.

"What's wrong?" They asked at the same time.

"Nothing's wrong." Alice turned to look at them, her eyes were wide.

"What do we do now?" Bella asked.

"We wait for Carlisle to call."

"And should he have called by now?" Elexia asked. Alice's eyes drifted from her briefly.

"What does that mean?" Bella's voice trembled. "That he hasn't called yet?"

"It just means that they don't have anything to tell us." Alice's voice was hard.

Elexia was uncomfortable; a sudden dread filled her stomach at the thought of something being wrong.

Jasper quickly appeared in front of her. "You have nothing to worry about." His eyes flitted to Bella for a moment, and he nodded comfortingly, before going back to Elexia. "You are completely safe here."

"I know." Elexia tried to make her voice as convincing as possible. She seemed to have forgotten about Jasper's gift.

"Elexia, you're frightened."

"Laurent. . ." Elexia whispered. "What he said. He made it sound like James is so. . deadly," she shivered at the word. "What if something happens to any of you guys?"