CHAPTER 34

Special Note: For those who don't understand hindi, english translations are in the comment section right next to the hindi lines. Thank you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once Devyani arrived, Khushi placed her bag, filled with a few articles of clothing and necessities, in the trunk of Arnav's car. She leaned over and took a deep breath. Every time her tears threatened to spill, she would stop to catch her breath. 'Was she insane for leaving tonight?' Arnav has told her multiple times that he loved her, and she planned on telling him she loved him back. But after he handed her the divorce papers...she didn't know how to react. It just hurt...it simply hurt. If she left...then Arnav won't try to bring her back. Would it be so easy for him? To just see her walk away? He would just be ok with it?

Khushi tried to understand Arnav's point of view and that he was giving her an out if she wanted...but it bothered her that Arnav would just let her go. Can she build a life with him knowing this? Knowing that he wouldn't try to bring her back? Khushi didn't know...and needed time to herself to figure this out. After she took a few moments to compose herself, Khushi closed the hood of the trunk and walked over the passenger side of the car. Arnav was already seated on the driver's seat waiting for her. Khushi didn't delay further...she opened the car door and sat inside.

Once she secured her seat belt, Arnav turned the ignition and drove out of the driveway. They sat quietly in the car, but the air around them remained heavy. They stole glances at each other while the other wasn't paying attention. Khushi opened her mouth to say something...anything...but nothing came out. What can she say in this situation? And it didn't look like Arnav wanted to strike up a conversation either...and for that reason...the ache in her chest doubled.

The silence getting too much for her, Khushi reached over and turned on the radio. "Good evening Mumbai!" RJ Shyam's voice boomed from the car speakers. "It's so good to be back to work my friends! Lekin ek raaz ki baath bathaye...biwi ko chor kar kaam pe aane ka dil hi nahin karta." RJ Shyam said, his voice clear and booming inside the car, "Yeh shaadi badi hi koobsurat cheez hoti hai doston...kabhi yeh nahin socha tha ke shaadi ke baadh...usse aur pyaar karne lagunga..."

Arnav and Khushi turned to look at each other when Shyam said that. As soon as their eyes connected, they both turned away quickly.

RJ Shyam continued, "Doh log zindagi bhar saath nibhane ke kasme kaathe hai. Kabhi kabhi jadge bhi hote hain...lekin jab biwi gusse mein jaa rahi hai...toh jaan nikhal jaati hai...aur bas...yahi gaana yaad aata hai...." RJ Shyam said and cued the music.

~Abhi na jao chhodh kar
ke dil abhi bhara nahi...~

Arnav's heart lurched as the beginning words of this song started to play. He glanced over at Khushi and saw that she was facing ahead. He wanted to say something to her...anything...but he didn't trust his own voice. She wants this...Arnav kept reminding himself that Khushi wants this. He can't stop her...no matter how much he wanted to. But...he didn't want to let her go...kyun ki...dil abhi bhara nahin...

~tumhaare pyaar ki kasam
tumhaara gham hai mera gham
na yoon bujhe bujhe raho
jo dil ki baat hai kaho...~

Please stop me...Khushi silently prayed. Please say something...tell me what's wrong. She looked over and saw that Arnav was focused on the road. She couldn't understand why he did this. Was it so easy for him? To simply draft divorce papers and hand it to her? Yes...he didn't sign them...but he is not even trying to stop her. Khushi quickly brushed the tear that escaped as she looked out the window.

~Jo mujhse bhi chhupaaoge
to phir kisse bataaoge
main koi gair to nahin
dilaaun kiss tarah yakin...~

It's as if the air around them was fighting. There was this push and pull between them...but neither were giving in. They wanted the same thing...but both were testing the other person...they were testing their relationship.