04 | Silence and Secrets

September 25, 2012
Tuesday,
9:16 p.m.

Dear Janet,

Do you remember the last time I wrote to you about how I already have a plan in mind? Guess what, I've begun executing it. I joined the basketball team today for only one reason—Thomas Irvine, Ethan's blind puppy. He's the captain of our team, The Phoenixes. He's all angry and has no brains, which for me, is a plus.

But he doesn't like me because his master said so. He didn't want me on the team and even talked to the coach about it. Coach Hughs had my back nonetheless. "It would be a smart decision if I were on the team," he had said, which shut Thomas up instantly. He's a fucking coward!

I went through his phone in the locker room when he was in the shower. Do you know what his password was? His fucking birthday! That's what narcissism gets you—a head that echoes when you knock against the bone. But before I could go through his gallery to find any dirt, I heard him coming out of the shower and put his phone back in place. His dark eyes sensed something was wrong and he was about to hit me when the janitor came in and asked us to leave the locker room. I darted out of there just as he interrupted.

Thomas will keep a close eye on me, Janet. I know it. He will tell his 'best friend' Ethan about it as well. If the janitor didn't come in time, he wouldn't have hesitated to beat me up. I need to be careful. I need to be prepared for the worst, and for that, I need to lay down even more foundations. Divide and conquer is what I will have to do, and for that, I need a second target. I already know who it is, and you will know too the next time you hear from me.

I love you,

Your brother, Jeremy

***

I RUSH OUT OF THE BATHROOM, still holding the card as I frantically search for the blonde woman who handed it over to me. The only Janet I've ever known in my life, killed herself ten years ago, someone who Diana and I used to believe was a victim of Ethan's.

A few people who notice me sprint out of the bathroom look at me as if I'm a mad woman who's having an episode, but right now, all I can think about is that mysterious woman, and Janet and the Six of Cups card scrunched up in my left palm.

"Rookie!" I hear a voice behind me but ignore it. It isn't until I feel a hand on my shoulder that I turn around and meet Aiden's gaze. "Hey," he exhales, concern and confusion flashing in his gray eyes, "are... are you okay?"

"Did you see a woman walk out of the washroom just now?" I ask him, still panting. "She had long blond hair and was wearing a floral dress. She had glasses too!"

"No, I came here just when you ran out of the bathroom," he answers and immediately looks me up and down, his eyebrows perched up as the concern and confusion melt into a frigid fear. "Amara, did that woman do something to you?"

I swallow, clenching my jaw. I slip the tarot card into my back pocket and turn to look at Aiden, trying my best to put up a convincing look. "No... No, it's nothing." I shrug. "I was just...overthinking." I'm still not sure if I should tell him about the tarot cards I've been receiving. Afterall, it's my past that's connected to them.

He nods, the hint of suspicion still lingering on his face like he doesn't quite believe me. But he doesn't ask further questions and instead, stares at the burgundy stain on my white shirt that somehow looks even worse.

"Wait a sec," Aiden says, taking off his coat and wrapping it around me.

At that moment, all the convulsing thoughts in my mind come to a stop. In the little time that I've known him, this is the most considerate he's been, and that makes the tiniest smile creep up my face.