11 | These Treacherous Lies

December 2nd, 2012

Sunday7:00 p.m.

Dear Janet,

Today was the day of the Annual Basketball Championship and guess what? We won! It was the most critical point and the scores were tied, but nothing was gonna stop me. I pierced the room like a cannonball! Everyone was cheering for me. I was on top of the world! I wish you were here today to cheer me on my feat...

Even Thomas hugged me, despite being skeptical about having me on the team. Perhaps he was only happy because the win raised his status as team captain. Anyway, he invited me to this victory party he's throwing next Sunday. That is what I'm looking forward to. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer, they say.

What he doesn't know is I'm coming for them, all of them. The cards are in my hands, they won't see it coming now.

Time for a little revenge, they think they're so much better. But they should keep in mind there is nothing I do better than revenge. Do you remember how it used to be our favorite song two years ago when the album came out? It's time to finally bring it to life.

I love you.

Your brother,Jeremy

***

I arrive at work with my mind full of thoughts and pull Aiden aside to tell him everything that went down just an hour ago. "Hey, Diana ran into me this morning."

He narrows his eyes, his entire attention directed toward me. "What?"

I look around the precinct before whispering to him, "She told me the Covingtons are planning to sell their house and move to Texas."

"In the middle of this investigation?"

I nod and he puts his hand over his mouth as he thinks of a plausible reason. "It looks like they're trying to—"

"Flee!"

"Exactly," he agrees and shakes his head. Exhaling slowly, he adds, "We need to get to the bottom of whatever's going on." He then turns to me with a questioning gaze. "Are you sure that Diana's not making it all up?"

"A hundred percent," I say to his face. If he knows when someone's lying, I have my own ways as well.

Nonetheless, he believes as is indicated by the nod of his head. "Alright."

"Well, what do you think we should do now?" I ask.

Aiden chews on his bottom lip, staring into a far corner of the room before providing an outrageous idea. "We should spy on them."

I gawk at his reply. "What? We can't do that, it's illegal!" I say, and he sighs.

"The Covingtons leaving town in the middle of this investigation is equally as illegal."

They are nearly not of the same magnitude but I swallow my words as I see him almost flaring in anger and desperation.

"I'll do anything to get to the bottom of this at this point, particularly after all the shit they've possibly committed over the years," he replies, and I agree. It seems like he thought of the Janet situation since our last conversation and came to the same realization as mine. If the Covingtons can play dirty, so can we.

"Alright, you're the boss," I say, and he nods. "So...what do we do know?"

He folds his arms against his chest and looks at the ground, trying to come up with something. Slowly, a smirk starts forming on his lips like he finally has the answer. His eyes turn to me and in his pupils, I see sparks of chaos and deceit.