12 | Mirage of Myths

December 15th, 2012
Saturday
11:41 p.m.

Dear Janet,

It was Thomas' victory party today, at his father's yacht. Most of the guests were seniors (including his three dear friends), except for Diana and Amara. I figured Ethan must've urged Thomas to invite Diana, given the Covingtons and Parks are associates. Amara might've been her plus one. But that's not the point!

Thomas' father was on the yacht to monitor the kids. It was his property after all and I'm pretty sure he doesn't have much faith in his son to keep everything in check, and that made it so much easier for me. It was as if luck was my right-hand man today!

What happened was, when Thomas was giving us a tour of 'his' yacht, he took us to his father's cellar. He gave us this big-ass speech of the different wines and I'm pretty sure he made up some of those names. Anyway, on our way back to the deck, I snuck in one of his father's 'special liquors.' It was a vintage bottle with a golden label that had some French letters printed on it in a decorative font.

Later during the party, when I was on my way to the bathroom, I had to pass by Thomas' father's room. I peeped in through the ajar door and saw him reading a book. Well, that was my cue. I retrieved the bottle of liquor and smashed it against the yacht's floor to create as much noise as possible and my god, it did! I ran back to the deck before his father could catch me.

A few minutes after, Mr. Irvine interrupted the party and boy was he MAD! He accused Thomas of breaking the bottle containing his precious wine. We were worried that he would kill his own son then and there. But you know what happened next? I swooped in like the perfect savior and took the blame upon myself, saying I got curious and brought the bottle from the party and dropped it by mistake on my way back to the party. He believed me and let it slide. Once he was gone, Thomas thanked me for saving his ass by covering for him! I don't know if he believed my truth, but so long as he was unharmed, he was happy — the definition of a shallow person.

Perhaps I'll be in his 'good graces' now, though he won't be in mine, not after what he did. Perhaps my plans of infiltrating his friend group will finally work! I hope it does.

I love you.

Your brother,
Jeremy

***

"Did you find anything suspicious on the Covingtons?" I ask Ray while Aiden, he, and I are on Facetime on our day off.

"Not anything noteworthy," Ray starts, "except for the fact that Patricia gets these crazy migraines that only her husband knows of."

"She's a lawyer, must be one hell of a workload," comments Aiden. "Anything else?"

"Nope," Ray shakes his head, still looking over at his computer, presumably spying on the Covingtons even now. His under eye-bags suggest he takes his "job" very seriously.

"Ray, did you stay up all night watching them?" I ask and he finally looks up at me through his phone screen.

"Wh—"

"Don't lie to me," I urge and he opens his mouth to say something, but stops midway, slumping his shoulders.

"It's fun, however! It's like watching an episode of Big Brother!"

"I have no idea what you're talking about." I roll my eyes at him.

"Anyway," Ray speaks up once again and yawns. "I should catch up on some sleep. Goodbye!" he says and ends the Facetime abruptly, leaving me on the call with just Aiden.