09 | The Hanged Man

November 19, 2012
Monday
10:24 p.m.

Dear Janet,

Amara confronted me today about why I tried to approach her parents the previous night. I didn't answer, I wasn't sure if I could trust her. Somehow, she knew though, she realized it was about you.

She asked me if it was Ethan and his friends who beat me up, noticing my black eye. I denied the accusation of course. She didn't need to get any more involved than she already was.

Instead, I asked her for her parents' number, hoping they would help me. She sighed, hesitating, but after a couple of tries, she agreed and passed the number to me.

"Please don't get in trouble. Or at least don't get my parents in trouble," she had asked and I smiled, nodding along as I lied. People need to get their hands dirty to get to the truth, and mine are hungry for blood.

I'm going to contact her parents and get this information to them. They're my last hope, Janet. I hope they won't fail me.

I love you.

Your brother,
Jeremy

***

ONCE WE WERE BACK AT THE STATION, I searched for the meaning of the Five of Cups tarot card Janet sent me in an attempt to get Aiden to believe me.

"Look!" I point to the screen where it shows the meaning.

Return.

"Do you believe me now?" I ask him and he sighs.

"I don't know rookie, I'm still convinced the brother is behind it. It's the most plausible explanation." He replies, and I rub my temples. "But after what happened today, I don't know where to believe in."

I consider the situation as a whole and an idea sparks up in my mind that can either end terribly or give us all the answers we need.

"Why don't we get Diana to help us dig more into this relationship between Janet and Ethan?" I suggest. "She was closer to Ethan and his family than I ever was. In the best-case scenario, we get to know more about them through her. Worst case scenario, we get nothing, but we also lose nothing, Besides, she won't be able to resist us since we're her affair a secret," I finish.

"So, you want us to work with the enemy by keeping her secret hostage?" Aiden asks, cocking his head to the side.

"Good guys need to get their hands dirty sometimes." I shrug and notice the slight smirk forming in the corner of his lips.

"Well, as you say, rookie. "I'll contact her and have her meet us at the cafe tomorrow," he says, then heads off to his desk to do his own searching on the case.

I expected the convincing to take way more effort but fortunately, Aiden may just be as crazy and stubborn as I am.

***

"Well, I do know that he and his friends were toying with her," Diana answers when we ask her about Ethan and Janet's relationship. "By the end of the school year, she was suffering from extreme depression. I tried to talk to her, but Ethan would always be there to pull her away."

"Well, do you think they could've been behind her death?" Aiden asks and Diana sharply inhales. I fidget with my fingers, hoping she doesn't lie to cover for her ex-fiance.

"I think I do," she answers, and I breathe out in relief.

Aiden nods before getting to his feet. Diana and I follow.