14 | Angels of Hope

December 26th, 2012
Wednesday
12:04 a.m.

Dear Janet,

I went to Ethan's Christmas party today. Or yesterday, since it's past midnight. Thankfully, I was able to carry out the plan I'd thought of before going.

I managed to steal Thomas' phone, the one he surely wanted me off-limits from, and I went through his gallery. I hope I didn't have to, but I needed to.

There were pictures and videos of them...doing horrible things to you. I didn't watch a thing. I couldn't. So, I transferred his whole camera roll to my burner phone. They won't be able to trace anything back to me even if they wanted to.

The one bad thing, however, is that I was caught. Nearly caught actually. I somehow managed to escape.

Eddard had seen me fiddling with Thomas' phone as the files were being transferred. He asked me what I was doing and I asked him if he'd seen Thomas since he had left his phone unattended. He didn't raise any questions and told me he didn't know his whereabouts. I took it as my cue to leave the cramped hiding spot and get back to the party.

I'm not sure if he believed me though. Still, he must think I'm a good kid because you were too. I know that he would've taken my side had he known the whole context. Anyway, I can't take any risks even if thoughts of revenge eat me from the inside out. It's too dangerous.

I sent over the media files to Amara's parents, and guess what? They said they believe me! They said the pictures and videos are solid evidence and are now willing to work with me to bring your killers to justice. Everything's working out so well, Janet.

I can't wait for the day the world sees the fucked up reality of their favorite people. I can't wait for the world to tear down the very monsters that took your life. Justice shall be served. I'll make sure of it.

I love you.

Your brother,

Jeremy

***

It's been a week since Diana's disappearance. The case has pretty much come to a halt since then. There have been no new developments, no new tarot cards, and not a single message from Janet since that last one seven nights ago. It's almost as if the case has gone cold despite the murderer still at bay; the mystery still remaining unsolved.

Not for the media and news outlets, however. Patricia's statement has been given as much weightage as a judge's ruling. Everyone believes her and not Diana. To the world, Diana killed her fiance because of her secret affair with his brother. To me, it is the Covingtons who ruined yet another life.

The CCTV footage from Diana's place was erased. There are no traces of anyone coming in or getting out of the apartment complex the entire evening. The street cams showed no odd vehicles or even individuals. It's as if she vanished from the face of the earth that night.

I've been going to work, expecting some miracle to pop up but all I'm met with is disappointment. Aiden, however, has been helping me out as much as he can. He knows I'm in a vulnerable space and tries to cheer me up by giving false hopes of finding Diana, but there are only so many lies he can make up.

I told him about the maid I'd seen on the cam and how close of a resemblance she had with Janet. He ran a background check on her but once again, nothing significant came out of it. Her name is Elena Reid and she graduated college three years ago. There are pictures of her in her yearbooks to back up those claims. So here I am again, on ground zero, feeling like a sore loser.