13 | The Devil's Mistress

December 21st, 2012
Friday
6:01 p.m.

Dear Janet,

Today during lunch Amara approached me. She wanted to know why I took the blame for Thomas at the yacht party. It's crazy how she figures out I'm hiding something behind my back. Then again, her mom and dad are journalists. She yearns for the truth more than anything.

I told her I told the truth and nothing more before walking away. I know she didn't believe me but I couldn't take a risk of her poking holes in the story. Instead, I went and had lunch with Thomas and his friends.

We have been hanging out a lot more, which is good for the plan, not my sanity. Christmas decorations are going up all over town, and everything just feels lonely. Without you, I think Christmas is one of my least favorite holidays. I feel as if nothing will ever fill this void.

Anyway, so Ethan has invited me to the New Year's Eve party that his dad is organizing. I never expected them to be so open about having me in their friend circle. Everything has been in my favor lately. I have a plan in place regarding what I have to do there. It won't be easy but I'll update you when I have a chance to.

Love you.

Your brother,
Jeremy

***

I've been calling Diana the whole car ride, panic rising in me by the second. I feel my hands start to shake, my face turning hot and I'm unable to breathe normally.

"Pick up, pick up," I mutter into my phone but the call goes straight to voicemail like it has been for almost fifty times now.

Finally, Aiden and I pull up in front of her residence. Cop cars are littered everywhere — in front of the main gate, across the street, it's a mile of red and blue. My heart speeds up just as we exit the car to find out what's going on.

I push past officers to get into the apartment building. Pressing the button for the elevator, I keep tapping my foot against the tile floor. From the corner of my eye, I see Aiden watching me with concern. He doesn't say anything, even as we ride the elevator to Diana's floor, and I feel that's for the best. I need answers. That's the only way I can be calmed.

"What's going on?" I ask one of the officers standing outside Diana's apartment and peek inside, not seeing her anywhere.

The officer hands me a tarot card. "She's definitely not in here, but we found this."

"Are all her belongings here?" Aiden asks and the officer nods.

"All intact. Phone, purse, ID, everything's right here," he explains as I take a closer look at the tarot card he has handed me. It's the Devil, signifying chaos and disaster. My jaw hangs open and I feel the tears start to blur my vision.

I failed.

I failed again.

Aiden's fingers coil around my arm as I zone out in panic.

"Go wait in the car, I'll find out what's going on," he says and carefully takes the card from my fingertips.

"No, I have to sta—"

He stops me by putting his palm up. "Do as I say, Amara. Please."

I find myself doing what he asks of me and go outside, sitting back in his car.

The pain and panic of losing her overtake me and I break down. I should've stayed behind, I think to myself. What if there were some clues left behind? What if Diana had left a message for me? What if I had trusted her when she said she wasn't involved in any of this? Would that have changed anything? Perhaps it would've.