16 | Scarlet Night

January 13th, 2013
Saturday
6:01 p.m.

Dear Janet,

I met up with Amara's parents today regarding Ethan and his friends. They let me know that they too are digging into the Covingtons and their shady past because of how many similar cases involving these people have been pushed under the rug.

They told me to keep up this friendship I've forged with them, and that it's the only way I can stay safe. Pretending to be one of them, no matter how bad it makes me feel on the inside, is how I can get my hands on all the dirt surrounding their group.

Mr. and Mrs. Willow seemed empathetic to me. They're the only people who know of my motives and I hope I can trust them to bring your killers to justice. For now, all I can do is do my best while letting the Willows do what they're best at. I won't let this opportunity slip from my hands, no matter what.

I love you.

Your brother,
Jeremy

***

It was my sixteenth birthday. The summer of 2013 was nearing its end. Diana and a few of my friends from Sacredmore had thrown me a birthday bash that evening and it was the happiest I'd ever been that entire year. Mom and Dad had informed me that they were going to be late because of work. Nonetheless, they wanted to celebrate my Sweet Sixteen.

When I left the hotel Diana had rented for my birthday, I called my parents. They let me know that they were on their way back home. They'd bought a cake and a gift for me which they had intended to be a surprise. Despite returning from possibly the biggest party somebody had ever thrown me, I was more excited about what Mom and Dad had planned for my birthday.

I was giddy when I got off the bus; exhilarated as I walked along the lane my house was located next to. I had the biggest smile on my face...until I saw the smoke and flames at the farthest end of the lane. A crowd had gathered a couple of feet away from me, overlooking my house. I knew right away that something was wrong. Something had gone terribly wrong.

Most of the people in that crowd were neighbors I'd run into occasionally. The panic and fear on their faces when they saw me are still etched into my mind to this day. They tried to stop me from going any further. They tried to hold me back by tugging onto my arm, screaming my name aloud and even shielding me from peering into the fire.

I didn't listen. I wish I did but right then, I needed to know for myself. What I saw, haunts me to this day...

"Amara? Amara!"

The smell of smoke and the sound of people shouting and crying flood my senses. It's so awfully familiar, but it's nine years later. Mom and Dad are long dead and if I don't act on time, so will countless others.

My eyes sting as I open them. I'm lying on the floor. My legs hurt and I feel at least two other bodies scrambled on my limbs, both unmoving and heavy as is. My head feels like it has been smashed into a boulder and I can barely keep my eyes open.

"Amara!" Aiden's voice finds me through the commotion. When my vision clears, I see him hovering over me, trying to stir me awake.

"Ai-Aiden?" I stammer, followed by a cough. I touch my forehead. My fingers are coated with blood.

"Yes!" Aiden says, heaving a sigh. "Are you...okay? Can you move?" he asks.

I let out a groan as I sat back up. My memories come back to me in a blur - how I got here, all the events from the night, what led to this moment, everything. Around Aiden and I, the floor is crawling with bodies, some seemingly alive while others...otherwise.