06 | Wheels of Ruin

October 31, 2012
Wednesday
11:05 p.m.

Dear Janet,

Sacredmore hosted its annual Halloween Party today. I know how much you love Halloween, but after today, I don't think you will.

Amid the music and dances, Ethan stepped onto the stage and gave this long monologue on how wonderful of a person you are and how you both had your first kiss a year ago today. The crowd was moved by his words. They felt more sorry for him than they did for you. They consoled him but never once considered looking out for you, asking you if you were okay.

During his 'poignant' speech, Ethan has his eyes on me. The. Entire. Time. Like he was challenging me.

"No one believes you!" That's what the gaze held. "You have no power, Jeremy."

Maybe I don't. Not yet, at least, but from what I saw later this evening, Ethan won't be so sure of his claims.

After the party was over, I caught a glimpse of Archie in Ethan's room. He was handing Ethan his camera, asking him why he wanted it.

"A winner needs to admire his conquests every day, my dear Archie," Ethan had answered and I just knew what he meant by 'conquests', or more appropriately, who. He's a disgusting human being and I'm scared of imagining the worst of what may be on the camera. I won't know until I see it for myself.

I have to steal the camera, after going through Thomas' phone first. They are hiding something horrible about your death, and Ethan was right. No one will believe me until I have my hands on the kind of evidence they can't ignore.

I'll get to the bottom of this. I promise. I will get you the justice you deserve.

I love you.

Your brother, Jeremy

***

"Do you remember Janet Holloway?" I ask Father Eddard. I've decided to stop by the Church before going to work since I need someone I can talk about Janet with. After last night, I don't know what to believe in anymore.

"Janet Holloway?" Father Eddard pauses, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Do you mean the girl who committed suicide some ten years ago?"

I nod.

"Yes, of course. I remember her," he says, making me release a relieved breath. "She was such a bright ray of sunshine back in high school. It's unfortunate what she did to herself."

I remain in silence for a little before asking him again. "Do you think someone could be behind her death?"

He crinkles his eyebrow, looking at me in disbelief. "Are you saying she was murdered?"

I quickly shake my head. "No, I mean," I sigh, "what if something was troubling Janet? What if...something caused her to take her own life?"

Father Eddard scrunches his nose and throws me a look that makes it very apparent that he doesn't believe me. "Is it about the tarot cards, Amara?"

I'm taken aback by that question. How does he—

"Janet loved tarot cards," he adds, "and you've been receiving them lately. Is that what this is all about?"

I exhale after hearing his explanation. He doesn't know anything about the Six of Cups card I received at the restaurant or the Justice card we recovered from Thomas' dead body.

"Ye—Yeah..." I stammer out an answer. "It's probably nothing," I say, trying to wrap up the conversation. I don't want him to know everything about the case yet, and I'm afraid of doing exactly that if I stay here a moment longer.