07 | A Lover's Predicament

November 17, 2012
Saturday
8:17 p.m

Dear Janet,

Today, I was helping to decorate for the annual talent show Not many people signed up for the job, but Amara did. She approached me, and I could tell she was nervous.

"I wanted to apologize for how I acted the other day. I shouldn't have been so rude, it was just a stressful day, and I took it out on you. Can you forgive me?" she asked and smiled sweetly, looking like an angel with the way the auditorium lights hit her soft features.

"Yeah, of course, I get it; we all have rough days," I replied with my goofy smile, and she chuckled.

We both worked on decorations in silence for a few moments before I broke the awkward silence and asked her if her parents were going to show up. She sighed but smiled at the same time.

She explained that they are going to be here, but they'll be late. They are journalists and were very dedicated to their cases.

I knew that fact, which was why I asked. No one at school would take my side even if I presented them with the evidence. They are all scared of Ethan and his goons. The only people I can trust are people in power willing to fight for the truth, and if Amara's parents are even slightly how she made them out to be, they will be on my side.

We didn't say anything else for the remainder of the time and finished decorating quickly.

The show began about a half-hour later, so I took the opportunity to steal Thomas' phone. He had it in his back pocket, and I quietly slipped in behind him. He didn't even notice me; I was stealthy enough I suppose. I removed the phone from his pocket and bolted out into the hall, and into one of the bathroom stalls.

I was shocked to find his phone wasn't even password protected. BIG mistake on his part. I went into his camera gallery and was horrified. I found pictures and videos of them doing...horrible things to you. I couldn't watch it all, Janet. I feel so terribly sorry for you, I do. I feel furious about what they did to you. The only thing keeping me from storming out there and killing them right now...is you. That won't work, I know, and I need to hold out for as long as I can.

Where am I now, you may ask?

I'm writing this in my room, waiting for Amara's parents to arrive. I'm going to show them the evidence and destroy Ethan and his friends.

Have faith in me, Janet.

I love you.

Your brother, Jeremy

***

IT'S THE NEXT DAY. Aiden and I wait patiently for Diana to be brought in for the questioning. He looks at me with an expression that asks, "Are you ready?"

"Yeah, I'm ready," I say. "She's not the Diana I knew once," I add with a sigh. I miss Diana as my friend truly; however, she is now our prime suspect and that's all that I can think about.

An officer approaches us and informs us that Diana has arrived and is sitting in the interrogation room. Aiden and I walk a short distance from our cubicles and enter the room, taking a seat across from Diana.

"Weren't expecting to see us so soon huh, Miss Park?" Aiden asks, his lips curled to one side in a smirk.

Diana, who already appeared stern, now hardened her face. She isn't here for the mocking.

"Anyway, let's get straight down to the issue, shall we?" he asks and Diana answers with an exhale, followed by a nod. "Miss Park, we have evidence to prove that you and your late fiancé's little brother might be having an affair. Care to explain?" Aiden says, leaning against the table on his elbow. The way he described Logan was petty, but that trick worked on Diana.