Fight and Discovery

A terminal beeped incessantly. A worker could be seen, frantically trying to calm it down, but it continued despite their efforts. Guess this isn’t a drill, thought the worker. They radioed The Boss. “Sir, get down here as soon as you can. We have an emergency.”

“What do you mean ‘enemy ships’?” inquired The Boss. “I tried to contact the approaching ships and they weren't responding. So I scanned them against our database. It appears they are stolen,” said the worker. “Well, where were they stolen from?” The Boss continued. “I don’t think you’re going to like it,” the worker replied. “Just tell me,” said The Boss. “Robo.”

The station PA system sounded. “Attention all security personnel, please report to the docks immediately. This is not a drill.” That’s not good. I checked the cameras and sure enough, there went all the security guards. ‘I need to go warn Jack and Evergreen!’ I thought. I left my office and set down the hall at a brisk pace towards the Communications room. Hopefully no one sees me–”GERMIA!” Oh no. “Germia, what are you doing?” asked The Boss. “I was uh, going to verify our communications equipment. Gotta make sure everything works before…whatever is going to happen down at the docks,” I said nervously. “Uh huh. Well, I want you down at the docks,” he responded. “W-what? Why?! I’m not a fighter!” I exclaimed. “Now you are. I need all hands on deck to deal with these…pests,” he stated. I tried to argue but it was no use. “If I see you anywhere other than the docks, I’ll kill you myself,” he finished.

The docks were frantic, everyone confused as to why they were there, except the security guards, who seemed to be ready for anything. “Excuse me, where do I get a gun?” I asked one of the security guards. He laughed. “You? Gun? You have some humor my friend.” He shook his head, entertained by my question, then looked back at the entrance to the docks. I had never actually been inside the docks before, since I had been cooped up in my office most of the time. It was expansive, containing many places for ships to land. Crates, fuel cells, and other dock related items could be seen strewn about, though a lot of the crates had been converted into makeshift cover. The field protecting us from the outside was in front of us, big enough for a Carrier Class ship to fit through. It glowed a faint white color, and had a constant hum emanating from it. Besides all the people currently present in the room, the docks seemed untouched. ‘I wonder why that is,’ I thought. I looked back to the door leading to the rest of the station and noticed two guards had positioned themselves there. One was glaring at me as though I had done something wrong. Well, I was about to do something against the GMC. Does The Boss know? I had something else to worry about though. How was I going to warn them?

I looked over at Jack. He seemed nervous, but there was a fighting spirit in his eyes I had never seen before. It was like he could take on the world. Looking up, I saw Jovian glancing at us with a look of affliction as well as a look of hope. The ship rattled as we neared the station, and hushed talking could be heard. Occasionally comms chatter also sounded. I looked out the window next to me and saw the station, still quite far out. I could also see other ships in formation with us. “You know, why haven’t they fired yet? Doesn’t their station have defensive weapons?” I asked aloud, not to anyone in particular. “They do, but I managed to hack into their defense systems and bring their weapons offline, at least for the time being. Hopefully we’ll have enough time to land and begin our assault,” Jovian responded. “I see, but there will probably be resistance once we do land right?” I asked. “Most likely, but we’re prepared for that, aren’t we?” she questioned, more so rhetorically than as a question. “I’m going to wager that they’ll have put most of their forces at the docks, as that is where they will be expecting us to land. Little did they know, as I was in their systems, I took a look at the station’s layout. I noticed that there was an access port that a ship could dock to that was also conveniently located outside of their scopes, so they can’t see anything down there,” she continued. “I have a feeling that I know where you are going with this,” I said. “Yup. I’m going to have Vitrex’s team go in and dock with that access port. Once they’re in, they will sneak in and disarm anyone who doesn’t surrender or fires back. No need for unnecessary bloodshed. We’ll wait outside the docks, and once they clear it, we’ll move in,” she stated, sounding confident. “That’s one hell of a plan,” said Jack. She looked over at him. “I’ve been planning to take down the GMC for a very long time, ever since I saw innocent people being taken. It’s about time they went down.” She clenched her fist, then let go. Jack looked over at me. “Do you think we’ll be able to do this?” he asked. “Yes, I have faith in Vitrex, Jovian, and all the others,” I responded. He nodded and looked away again. In the back of my mind, I was worried. Worried that someone was going to get hurt, or worse. I shuddered. I moved my tail around Jack. ‘No one will hurt you,’ I thought.