Epilogue

It had been a year since we had arrived back on Earth. When we arrived back, Jovian had told us that she, Vitrex, and their crew would come visit again once they dealt with The Boss. That was months ago, and I haven’t heard from them since. No message or anything. I turned to Jack. “Hey, have you heard from Jovian or the others since they left?” I inquired. “I’m not sure how you think I would know. I’m not the protogen with space email,” he laughed. “True, true,” I said, a little defeated. Jack patted me on the shoulder. “Aw don’t be sad about it, I’m sure they’ll turn up at some point-” Jack was interrupted by a knock at the door. We looked at each other, eyes wide open. “Do you think…” I trailed off. “Let’s see,” he said. Jack got up and walked over to the door and peeped through the peephole. Jack turned to me, smiled, then opened the door. Standing in the doorway was Jovian, Vitrex, and about 20 other Protogens. “Well well well, if it ain’t Evergreen!” Vitrex said enthusiastically. “It’s about time!” I exclaimed. I leaped from the couch and bounded over to Vitrex and gave him a hug as the others walked in behind him. “It is good to see you my friend, doing alright?” I asked. “Yeah I’m doing alright. Once I recovered I helped Jovian and the others deal with The Boss and then we went around and did some revolution stuff. You know how it is,” he replied, smiling. I smiled back. “Yup, you already know,” I said. Jack walked back over and sat on the couch. “Well, I am very glad to hear you guys are doing alright-wait a minute, how’d you guys get in? Were you seen?” Jack motioned towards the group. “Oh it was easy, we just went in through the front entrance of course,” Jovian said, smirking. Jack looked at her with wide eyes. “I’m only kidding, loosen up! We parked ourselves on the roof and snuck in,” she snickered. “Some security,” said one of the Protogens in the group.

As day turned to dusk, everybody in the apartment had settled in and was relaxing either on the couch, in the kitchen, or really anywhere. The apartment had been filled with chatter about the revolution, how interesting Earth was, and other conversations that I hadn’t picked out. Of course, once I was done talking with Vitrex, I sat down next to Jack, who had turned on the TV to the news. “Worried about someone finding us out?” I asked Jack. He turned and looked at me, seeming somewhat nervous. “A little bit. Have you seen what humans do when they don’t understand something?” he stated. “No, not exactly. What would that be?” I questioned. “Well, I’ll just say it doesn’t usually end well,” he said, mimicking an explosion with his hands.

I glanced around the room and my eyes happened upon Jovian and Vitrex, who seemed to be unphased by Earth and its amenities. I got up and walked over to them. “Hey, you two seem unaffected by being here. Do you guys have some experience on Earth or something?” I said curiously. Jovian and Vitrex looked at me. “You could say that,” Jovian replied. “I haven’t been on Earth per-say but I have definitely seen data entries and the like about this planet before,” Vitrex answered. “Interesting, what about you Jovian?” I said. “Similar situation to Vitrex, I had seen some things about it before, however I did interact with someone here a long time ago.” As we were talking, there was a knock at the door. Everybody froze except one enthusiastic Protogen who ran to the door shouting “I’ll get it!” The door opened and there stood another human. “Hey Jack, it’s been awhile and I thought I’d just check up on you…” He froze as he looked around the room. “Hey Jared! I can…explain,” Jack said.

For someone who had just met extraterrestrial beings, Jared took it surprisingly well. He was also probably in shock. After we explained to him what had happened, me and Jack got up and went out to the balcony. We sat in silence for a while, staring at the stars. “So,” he started, breaking the silence, “what do you think will happen now?” I pondered that thought for a moment, thinking of all the misadventures we had had during our time together, the bond we had formed, the friends we made along the way, and the small things too. After a minute or so, I came to an answer. “I’m unsure, but whatever happens, I hope you’re there along with me,” I answered, looking at him happily. He smiled back. “Same, Evergreen, same.” With that, we gazed back up, watching as the stars danced across the night sky, seeming closer than ever, and, as we held hands, space itself seemed to come closer too.