Chapter 14: Your story, or theirs?

[Lui's pov]

"You are what you believe in. Unfortunately, the fail safe has been triggered and you're now starting to melt." The figure spoke as they levitate from the cold pavement. The void surrounds us as I wonder to myself how I got here. The dream state realm, but who's connected to me? Did I pass out from my journey to the church? "I can hear your thoughts, Lui. After all, I've been modeled after your predecessor's rival, and you've modeled after your predecessor. In such rough times, he's downgraded me into a mere failsafe program to protect you."

This figure can read my thoughts? Why create something that can read thoughts? Who's my predecessor? "Yes, if this answer is required to clear out your doubts about me. As for the second question, I admire his intelligence to add me the ability to read minds, but I dislike him for putting me inside your head instead of owning a Protogen body. Waste of ability, if you ask me. As for the latter... I can't remember their names, even the animal who placed me into your head. I can't remember any of their names, but I can only remember yours, even though we haven't met."

Why can't you recall the names? Who are you really? Do you have a past? "He might've erased my memories, but I do recall their faces and what they wear. How they look. Second question, I am currently your failsafe program designed to protect you from any hijacking attempts unknown to my safeguard parameters of allowed access within your dream state, but that unfortunately summons me into your dream state. I hope I won't be much of a bother to you while you sleep. I also ensure that your sanity is in one piece. As for the latter question, I don't. Unless if you count my predecessor and I as one, and how I claim to hold resentment towards him."

What does this him look like? What does my predecessor look like? What does your predecessor look like? "He has white fur and he wears a lab coat. Your predecessor is a Protogen with red LED lights. My predecessor used to be nothing, but he achieved a Protogen body. He has purple LED lights, and red horns stick out of his head. May I ask you something? Your journey has led you to trigger your failsafe. Is the journey worth it? Did you find yourself?" The figure asked, and my thoughts immediately turned blank on his one question.

I sat on the cold pavement, staring down on the floor with my thoughts slowly coming back to me. My thoughts clouded my head all in one, and I am unable to find my right answer. Did I find myself? Are my questions satisfied? Is the trip worth it? Would a melting Protogen even fit within this chaotic society? I found myself tangled up within other's problems. I want to leave. I want to escape from all of this and head back home.

"A lonely confused Protogen in a melting society, and now the lonely Protogen melts within the new perfectly fine society." The figure spoke before I came into a realization. Melting, why am I thinking of a Protogen melting? Am I melting? I looked down at my paws before noticing that my arms are melting.

My consciousness cut out in a flash, and I opened my eyes into reality. I immediately sat upright from the shock, and the first thing I found is Scott looking at me with a worried look painted on his visor. "Lui! Are you alright? You passed out when Ghost brought you inside the church. I tried reaching to you through your dream state to know how you're doing, but for some reason I can't reach you."

I looked at Scott before frowning at him. "That's... Rude, you know. The reason that you can't enter my dream state is because of the failsafe program in my head. The failsafe is protecting my dream state from any attacks, but I think you aren't in the list of allowed entry. I might've to register your name to it next time. It also has mentioned something about me melting, and I found myself in my dream state melting."

I looked down at my paws before noticing that they are indeed melting. "W-Wait, how am I melting? Why am I melting? Is this still a dream state?" I mumbled to myself, not noticing that my voice is audible and loud enough for Scott to hear me. "Lui, this is reality. Ghost also told me that you started to melt the moment you passed out, and you've been melting since we brought you here in this room in the church. I radioed Doctor K about it, and he replied back with the information that your failsafe has been triggered by the severe amount of injury you've received on your way here."

My body melting must be also part of the failsafe to protect me, then how do I prevent this? I looked down on my arms, and I noticed the viscous fluid dripping down from my body. I can't be with everyone when I'm all looking different. "Scott, I..." I gulped down my worries and I cleared my throat before proceeding further. "I want to go back home." Scott looked at me with disbelief, frowning at me before suddenly pointing at something beside me.

"You can radio Doctor K using the radio on your bedside table beside you. I should get going. I have to find Ghost so I can ask him more questions. I can then figure out something for us to be able to live in this new world we found ourselves in." Scott replied before turning around and opening the door of the room, leaving me alone inside the room. Why did he frown at me when I told him that? I just want go back home now. This new world isn't for me.