Chapter 24: Restored hopes

[Lui's pov]

"Lui!" I heard a familiar voice from the distance, and I turned to look. I realized that it was Scott, and he's running towards me. I noticed that the floor has returned as well, and I was soon embraced by Scott in his arms. I felt my body being dragged down, and I felt my foot paws touch the cold pavement below. "What are you doing up there? You shouldn't be floating when in the dream state, unless you wished to float that is. I am glad that I am able to see you here in the dream state despite the chaos out there with the Malware taking control of your body. How are you, Lui?" Scott asked and he lets go of me.

I finally am able to set my foot paws down on the cold floor, and I let out a sigh of relief before looking at Scott. "I am alright. What happened out there?" I asked and Scott raised his right paw to point at his visor. "The Malware is extremely strong when he took control of your body, and I was nearly killed. My visor is severely damaged, and my right leg stabbed with my own weapon. I am unable to stop the Malware from chanting something with the artifact, but I blacked out and now I'm here with you. Speaking of the Malware, shouldn't they be here in the dream state with the Cosmic worm?"

"I heard a voice earlier before you arrived, and I assume it's the Cosmic Worm. The Cosmic Worm has also told me that I am the resurrection of Prima and this Malware, but I refused to believe it. I am who I am, and I just wish for this Malware to get out of my body to pester somebody else's instead. Why must it be me?" I stated and Scott placed his right paw on my left shoulder before giving me a pat.

"Don't worry, Lui. We'll find a way to get rid of the Malware out of your body. Now we just have to call upon the Cosmic Worm. You did mention that it appeared before I arrived." As soon as Scott mentioned about the Cosmic Worm, the floor of the dream state shook followed by a loud cry. From the distance, the gigantic Cosmic Worm revealed itself. I pointed towards the direction of the Cosmic Worm, and Scott turned to look.

"Scott and Prima-- I mean, Lui. You two finally reunited once again, and I must tell a great discovery I recently found out after the Malware chanted the ritual to summon me. I sensed that the Malware's presence no longer roam the dream state ever since he took full control of Lui's body. This discovery tips the scale off balance, and it puts us greatly in advantage. The Malware is unable to contact me from the dream state, and instead puts you in here to make contact with me instead. Lui, I want you to disregard my ranting previously before Scott has arrived."

"Now that we're at the upper hand on this matter. Is there any possible way to remove the Malware completely from my body and my mind? I can't wait to be at peace again to return back to my world to tend to my crops." I asked and Scott gently placed his paw on top of my visor. "If my assumptions are correct, it would work the same way as running a diagnostic test and modifying your software within the dream state. I can reprogram the status of the failsafe, but I can't entirely disable it from here. The failsafe of the Malware is hard-coded into your system, and can only be removed completely as hardware."

I let out a sigh before holding the paw of Scott with my right paw and moving his paw away from my visor. "All of what you've said to me came out as gibberish in my head, but I appreciate that you're able to help me. I remembered the reason as to why I first set out an adventure to find out who I am and where I truly belong. I used to think that I belonged somewhere else, away from the style of life you and the others have. Now that we got here, I slowly realized that I don't belong here..." 

"... My identity? I am a Protogen who works on the fields as a farmer, and that I belong with you and the others. That's who I am, and I am not letting anyone tell me who I am and what I'm supposed to be. No one shall decide my fate, because I am going to write my own. My involvement with this Cosmic crap and some stupid Malware has robbed me off my ability to shape my own path. Scott, modify the failsafe stuck in my head so we can go home and get this Malware dealt with back at our home." I stated and Scott gave me a nod before walking around me and standing behind me.

"Don't move. This might mess with you a bit." Scott stated and I raised my right paw to give him a thumbs up. I then looked up at the Cosmic worm, and I presume that what I've said might have affected the Cosmic worm. "Cosmic crap is this all to you?" The Cosmic worm spoke in a displeased tone.

"Sorry if I can't describe the amount of bullshit everything is at right now in a more friendlier way. I've had enough, and you can clearly see that. We just want to go home. Maybe if we get home and got rid of this Malware inside of me, we can help make your life a tad bit more peaceful by destroying the artifact back at our home planet. We may or may not meet again, Cosmic worm." I stated as I feel my back being taken apart by Scott. "So if someone contacted you through the artifact, does that mean you are asking for an offering in return?"

Scott asked and the Cosmic worm nodded. "In return, I want you-- Wait, I sense a mortal being attempting to summon me from a barren land, the same land I once last came that you call as home. In return, I want you to kill the Malware once and for all, and stop the mortal being that is attempting to summon me. You can go now." The Cosmic worm stated and it slowly retreated into the shadows. "There! The failsafe has been reprogrammed. You should wake up now in any moment." Scott stated as he walks around me and stood in front of me.

I looked at Scott before noticing that the Protogen in front of me isn't Scott. This Protogen is not Scott, it's the Malware. The Malware is looking down at me with a smirk on his visor. The Protogen reached out his two paws towards my visor, and I tried to move but I am stuck in place. The Malware then held my visor with both of his paws before twisting my head in a quick motion. I felt my neck snap, then I woke up.

It was all a nightmare, and I woke up soon after I felt my neck snap. I opened my eyes, and the first thing I saw was Scott's visor being close to mine. "Lui, hey. You're finally awake. I was battling the Malware version of you when the dream state happened. Somehow the tower collapsed while we were at the dream state. You've suffered no injuries from the looks of you melting and regenerating any damages dealt to you, but I've suffered severe visor damage with a bleeding right leg. Come and get up pal. Let's leave this godforsaken planet."