WELCOME HOME

"Du'gan! Come here will ya! I need your help!" With a anoyed grunt, the large male got up from his bed and trudged downstairs to his mother.

"What?"

Unimpressed by hers sons grumpy mood, Kayla turned her back to him and pointed at a couple of large grey stones. "Good morning to you too, sunshine! Look, I need you bring those boulders over there on the other side of the pond, they're far to heavy for me.

Annoyed he snapped at the tiny woman. "Why the fuck did you wake me up to do that? One of the others could've helped you just fine! I just got back from a late night patrol!"

A rustle behind him caught his attention, but before he was able to turn his head to see what it was, he head flew to the side by the hard blow to his chin and he stumbled on his feet barely maintaining balance.

Quickly he turned around getting ready to dash at the person who delivered him that blow, where he met with a set of furious eyes. One was milky white, the other yellow with a vertical pupil, filled with that same burning anger he had.

"DON'T YOU EVER TALK TO YOU MOTHER LIKE THAT AGAIN! DO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR, BOY?!" The male in front him, roared.

Duncan would have loved to punch his fathers face, but he knew if he would, Gh'ara would've most likely beat the crap out of him. Even though Gh'ara was almost eighty years old, he was still a force to be reconned with, a ruthless and merciless warrior, bowing and kneeling to nobody... but his mate.

"Calm down you two! Gh'ara you shouldn't have hit him and you, Du'gan.." Kayla turned toward her son. "..don't have to scold me like this! Got that?"

"What?! So now it's my fault?" Du'gan switched his gaze from his father to his mother and looked at her with a scowl. "I've been on patrol for three days in a row, looking for those fuckers who tried to abduct Y'éhla and T'kaly, and you're waking me up to do what? To drag some fucking stones!"

In the corner of his eye he saw a movement heading his way and his eyes flew toward his father who leaned his head aggressively toward his son, but before the tense situation could escalate another person stepped between the two hot-headed males.

"What the hell is going on here?" After being gone for more than a year, Gunnar returned just in time to see his father and brother pitted against each other like two fighting cocks.

"Gunnar!" Kayla wrapped her arms around her second son's waist. "When did you come back? I thought you said you weren't coming back until mid-January?"

The tall warrior looked at his mother with a smile on his face and leaned down to kiss her on the top of the head.

With his coarse, terrifying appearance he was a copy of his father, the only thing that suggested he was a Hybrid was the flatter face and the small bump that resembled a nose.

His older brother Du'gan, on the other hand, was a perfect mix of both parents. Like Gunnar, Du'gan had his father's tall, heavy build, thick muscular tail and dark scaly skin, just as both men had the large ivory coloured horns, but where Gunnar's face had distinct Shri'Traccal features, Du'gan's were obvious human, with his full lips, straight nose and soft fine hair.

His eyes, on the other hand, were clearly Gh'ara's, something that almost all of Gh'ara and Kayla's children had, except for Gunnar.

Gunnar's eyes were like those of Rhán and Birgg, his father's half-brothers, silver grey with a blue glow.

"Yeah, well, Tároc Rhán wanted us closer to home given the increase in attacks and kidnappings over the past six months. I wouldn't be surprised if he sends us north to launch quick lightning strikes against the Tappavan Kylmä clan."

Gunnar turned his head to his father with a questioning look. Who, in turn, crossed his colossal arms and looked expressionlessly at his son. "You know I'm not allowed to say anything about that..." The Ikat turned and walked away.

"Good to have you back son..." Gunnar couldn't help but sneer, seeing his father walking off, but the only answer he got was a dark growl.

As his mother still had her arms around his waist, he looked over at his brother with a crooked grin. "It's nice to see that so little has changed in the past year!"

Du'gan grinned broadly and slapped his brother on the back of the head. "Good to have you back home brother of mine! Isn't that weenie of yours frozen off in the cold?"

The tall warrior grinned, showing off a row of sharp, pearly white teeth. "Don't worry, dude everything is still working as it should!"

"Nice to know you both remembered I'm standing here as well!!" Kayla pushed her son aside, with a broad smile. '

"But tell me, are you going to move in back home as well, or will you stay at the fortress?"

Gunnar gave his mother an apolegetic grin. "Sorry mom, but I think I'm going to stay in the fortress! I might be called awake every now and then, but I'd rather be called awake than have a fight with dad on a daily basis... One extra male in the house already gets him on edge, let alone, the two of us together!"

Kayla sighed. "He doesn't mean it like that, you know that!"

"He does mean it, mom!! Stop defending him all the time!!" Du'gan Crossed his arms in front of his chest and looked at his mother with blazing eyes. "You always justify his behavior! He's just a jerk to us, Mom!" Before Kayla could respond to her son's accusations, Gh'ara stepped back into the room.

He looked from one son to the other with a cold look. "If you don't like it here, why don't you move into the fortress as well, huh? No one is going to hold you back!"

Furious, Du'gan turned to his father. "You'd loved that, wouldn't you?! Both your sons out of this house!!" Both his claws were now clenched into fists at his sides.

Gunnar saw his father stiffen and strike a pose which his brother immediately mirrored but before the two men were at each other's throats he stepped between them.

"Stop, you two!!" He turned partly towards his brother. "You're going to stay with me tonight!" But when he turned back, Ghara was standing in front of him.

"Who do you think you can commander here in this house, boy?" His father's one good eye glistened with rage and a shiver ran down his spine.

His father hadn't changed a bit, creepy, cold and hard as nails...

"No, Gh'ara!! Stop this!!" Now Kayla stepped in and squeezed in between her son and her mate. "You promised yourself that the boys could live here when they finished their training!"

He slowly lowered his gaze to his beloved. "No, Kayla...YOU wanted them back home after they finished their training, not me! These are two grown men now, and I will not tolerate any other grown men in my house!!"

Behind him, Gunnar heard his brother laugh scornfully. "As if you ever wanted us around in the first place..!"

At that moment Gh'ara dove around Kayla and Gunnar...