HISTORY LESSON

"You just couldn't keep your mouth shut, couldn't you?" Gunnar shook his head down at his brother who, lying on the ground, glared at him.

"I'm right or not?!" With measured movements, Du'gan rose to his feet, passing his hand over his mouth to wipe the blood from his lip. "He never wanted us, Gunnar! The girls he accepts, at least he tolerates them, but he doesn't want us..."

The young warrior sighed, his brother was right, their father had never been very kind to them, he had made them strong warriors, perhaps the strongest of their generation, but love or affection... no. Ghara was a hard, cold man who seemed to care only about his beloved Kayla.

Fortunately, their mother had showered them with love and affection, but she had never been able to completely shield them from their father's coldness, especially since the boys had hit puberty, when their father had become a tyrant. Gunnar had sometimes asked his mother why his father behaved this way, but he had never received a good answer.

"Come on, let's go to the bar and have a drink, then we'll get a stretcher from the depot later." And slapped his brother on the shoulder.

Du'gan grinned, showing sharp teeth. "If you pay the first round.."

The bar was already quite full, mostly young warriors of about eighteen years old, who were just allowed to order alcohol themselves.

Gunnar ordered a bottle of Gahl and two meals from an elderly lady who ran the bar with her daughter. With the bottle in one and two glasses in the other, he made his way to the back of the shop. To his surprise, he saw a familiar face sitting at his brother's table.

"Bahkat! What are you doing here, I thought Dakota had forbidden you to come here?" His grin vanished as the old warrior gave him a teasing blow to the stomach that he couldn't avoid.

"Watch it, lad! I always decide for myself where I go! But to be honest... Dakota went to Ellen and Vsar for a week, old Taroc seems to be not doing well and dakota wanted her friend for support to be." With a nod, the old warrior took a glass of Gahl from Gunnar. "To be honest, I was real need for that." and knocked back the alcohol in one go.

"What happened to you?" He asked Du'gan, pointing to the lat's thick lip and blue eye.

"Had a run with dad..." Du'gan shrugged and took a sip of his drink and handed his glass to his brother so he could take a sip as well.

Bahkat sighed. "I'm glad I met Dakota later in life, Dakota was already too old to have children. I probably wouldn't have been a good father either." He held up his glass to gunnar who refilled it.

"Your father has tried to be a good father..." He looked at Du'gan who grunted scornfully.

"Listen I won't hold my hand over your father, he's a tough, mean bastard, don't tell me that, I've seen how he used to hang out with you sometimes..., but let me put it that way say.., I didn't have a nice childhood, my father was also a hard man, but I compared to your father's youth, mine was warm and full of love.

Gh'ara once told me some secrets in a drunken stupor, which I shall not repeat, but let's just say that not all the scars on his body came from battle or torture..." The two young warriors looked each other with raised eyebrows.

Torture?

"What do you mean, torture?" Du'gan looked questioningly at the old warrior.

Bahkat looked from one to the other with a raised eyebrow. "Didn't he ever said anything?"

Both men shake their heads. No, their father hadn't told them anything, not that he ever told them anything about the old days...

"Kayla didn't either?" Again, the two brothers shook their heads.

Bahkat was about to get up to get another bottle of Gahl when the barmaid brought them the food. "Ahh, Tamara, honey. Bring us another bottle of Gahl and make me a meal like that too! That looks good!" The barmaid gave the battered Shri'Traccal warrior a broad smile and went back to prepare the order.

"Before Rhán became Tároc, Latarji was our leader, but you know that. Latarji was also the one responsible for the development of the pregnancy serum, you also know that..." The two men nodded.

Yes, they knew that, and they also knew that Varsa had taken the drug to Tároc Birgg to secure the drug.

"You all learned that Varsa brought the medicine to Birgg, didn't you? This is partly true...

Varsa did indeed bring the drug to Birgg, but your father was the one who managed to get hold of the ampoules. He and taroc Vsar were the ones who brought the drug to America and allowed the Rhan to take over power here.

We, your father and I, did not take part in the takeover of power ourselves, because Latarji had taken me prisoner..."

Du'gan and Gunnar watched as a shudder ran through the man's body at the memory. Bahkat took a sip of his drink and continued his story, not leaving a single detail of the days when he and his Ikat had been tortured by their old Tároc.

"I know it doesn't excuse your father's behavior, but the only reason I kept it up was because I've been modified for the Nocca Rak, those changes also involved tinkering with the pain receptors in the brain, which allowed us to feel less pain, less pain, not ′no′ pain...

Your father was also a member of the Nocca Rak, but he wasn't altered, in other words your old man felt the pain just like you would and believe me when I say that Latarji took it out on him, that guy hated your father

Your father wanted to give his life to secure the future of others. But he will be the last to say he's a nice guy, he's not... I guess he never learned how to do that..."

"He's an asshole, Bahkat, simple!" Bahkat grinned.

"True lad, your dad is an asshole, but that asshole gave live to two guys and raised them to be the two strongest warriors out there right now... keep that in mind...

Your mom gave you all the love you needed, that's why you'll never be like him, not so cold..., but not such a killer either!" and he looked at Du'gan defiantly.

"Your dad will do what ever it takes in difficult times, he will make the disiscions that nobody is willing to take and accept the consequences. He will take a live if he has to without second thoughts, but he will also give his live for the right cause..."