chapter seven

RONAN

I WAS CORRECT. As always, I sat beside Stella, who had just let out a gasp as she stared at the television displaying the news channel. They couldn't show the body because it was too disturbing and scary. A middle-aged woman's body had been found on the edge of the sidewalk this evening. Even before they identified the victim, I already knew who it was. Lily Blake.

The police ruled it a suicide, which it certainly was. Lily lived on the 24th floor of her 25-floor apartment complex. She went to her balcony, closed her eyes, and jumped without hesitation, without thinking about the consequences of her fatal decision.

The building was just the right height for her body to be a broken sack of bones by the time it reached the ground. I was relieved that it was all over for her before it even started. Initially, her body was flooded with adrenaline, blocking any pain. Judging by the gruesome and disturbing scene, she must have fallen vertically, head-first. Her skull cracked open like a watermelon, but she didn't feel the pain because she was already dead. The transition from living to dead didn't have a specific timeframe.

I understood why people chose to take their own lives rather than endure the discomfort of the world we live in. I sincerely hoped she found peace, unless she was a Christian, and we all know how that system works.

"Isn't this your therapist?" Nicholas turned around after staring at the television for the past twenty-five minutes. I had been counting. "Not anymore," I replied. Nicholas turned around and shook his head. He raised his index finger, and I already knew the accusation forming in his mind before it even left his lips.

"Did you have anything to do with this?" he asked, and I wasn't surprised, but his dramatic fiancé was.

"How could you even ask something like that? Why would Ronan have anything to do with what happened to her? They ruled it as a suicide," Stella chimed in. "Isn't it a little suspicious that she ended her session with him and then took her own life? He must have said something."

"It doesn't matter. It was her choice, and Ronan had nothing to do with it. We just need to find him a new therapist," she said, jumping up and crossing her arms over her chest. "No need for that," I interrupted.

She turned to me, shooting me a twisted look. "Therapy is useless. All it does is remind you how messed up you are. And trust me, I'm already reminded of it every day by you two. So, I'll pass." I stood up and walked to the door. "Nicholas, come with me. Stella, watch the girl. I'll be back for her later."

My hands were raised in the air while one of the many bodyguards checked me for any weapons. It had been about three minutes since he started searching me and found only one gun, my silencer. I assumed Dominic asked for a third pat-down after the second one he had requested. Nicholas had only received one pat-down. It was clear that I was being discriminated against.

"That's enough," Dominic told the bald bodyguard whose entire body, including his head, was covered in the most ridiculous tattoos I've ever seen. Both Nicholas and I took a seat in the chairs. Dominic positioned himself at the head of the table, while a bodyguard sat between us. The others surrounded us, gripping loaded guns in their hands.

I leaned back in the chair and rolled my eyes. Dominic clearly didn't possess the qualities of a strong leader if he was acting this paranoid over one man. I intentionally carried only one gun for a reason, yet he went to great lengths to ensure I wasn't much of a threat to him.