chapter twenty one

ARIA

I CALLED STELLA. The first time, she answered on the first ring, but I hung up instantly after hearing her voice. Then, I called her again. This time, after she spoke, I responded, leading to a long silence. Judging by it, she seemed shocked and processing. So, I began with the first sentence, and from there, we talked.

Our conversation was lengthy and filled with questions, tears, anger, and laughter. I had expected all of these reactions. I even had the chance to speak with Nicholas, who asked me numerous questions. I couldn't answer any of them, though, as I knew that doing so would reveal too much. He somehow founds out everything.

I assured Stella that I would call her once my phone was fully charged, as our talk drained the battery.

Following the conversation with Viktor, we hardly exchanged words. He seemed to be trying to process everything that had happened. Perhaps he felt thankful that someone else had finally witnessed what he had been dealing with for years. I would understand that sentiment. Going through that alone was tough enough. I could only imagine the countless sleepless nights, filled with worries and unanswered questions in his mind.

"Has Seal already gone out for a walk?" I enter the living area of the room, but I stop abruptly upon seeing Ronan seated on the couch, accompanied by Seal by his side. Viktor is also present, his gaze fixed on me. Ronan is rarely here in the mornings, and hardly present at all. His presence is a surprise, especially after what occurred last night.

Viktor clears his throat. "Actually, he did this morning."

I nod slowly.

I observe as Ronan rises to his feet, turning his head from side to side. In that moment, I take in his attire. His shirt is marked with smears of old blood. His hair is disheveled, and his eyes appear weary and drowsy. He must have left after our encounter and remained out all night, only to return in the morning. And clearly, he had a lot going on.

He approaches me, gripping my arm's side and guiding me in a direction. We're headed to the third floor, signaling a way to the basement. He pushes through the double doors, leading to his room, and then proceeds to the single door that opens to the basement. This was my first time seeing the basement have a little light in it. I took in everything once he let go of my arm. Everything was all in one room, but in different areas.

On the far left, there was his boxing area. Adjacent to that was the shooting range. Beside the shooting range, I noticed a steel double door, which appeared to have a keypad lock. As I continued to survey the surroundings, Ronan picked up two chairs and positioned them facing each other.

"Sit," he instructed.

I complied, taking a seat in one of the chairs, and he mirrored my action. We sat across from each other, my gaze on his, while his avoided meeting mine, as always. Sometimes I wondered what would transpire if our gazes locked. I pondered if he was perhaps as apprehensive as I was. I considered whether he thought that if he met my eyes, he would become ensnared in a trance, unable to escape. Or maybe I simply wasn't worth the effort.

"I noticed you used the phone," he broke the silence, producing the cellphone I had left to charge. I followed his movement as he placed it on the floor and nudged it toward me with his foot. I glanced down at the compact black phone with four sides, then back at him. He knew everything.