chapter sixteen

RONAN

AFTER SEVENTEEN LONG YEARS, I returned to this place. Surprisingly, it felt like only a few months, or perhaps weeks, had passed. Everything remained unchanged. Families were still on the streets, desperately seeking help from anyone. Women were still being victimized by robbers, and traffickers. And men were still enduring beatings and even death. Leaving Russia for a decade didn't bring the changes I thought would happened.

I was originally born and raised in a town called Kyzyl, where both my parents were also born. My father made the decision for us to remain there for the rest of our lives, despite its reputation as one of Russia's most dangerous cities. Our financial situation was difficult, and even keeping the lights on was a challenge. My mother held different views, wishing for a different life for me and Nicholas. My father believed that boys needed exposure to violence to develop strength and stability, preparing them to become men. I have to say, that was the only thing I was ever grateful for. I am grateful he exposed me to the truth and harsh realities of the world - the danger, the violence, and the fear. Without all of it, I probably wouldn't be the man I am today.

Before I had left for two years due to being incarcerated, I had a house built in Moscow, Russia. This will be the first time I've been here, and though I've never been to Moscow before, I've heard lots of stories about it. It's known for being the center of Russian culture and having the largest number of billionaires.

A few hours later, we arrived at the house. As I sat inside the car, I peered out at the front of the black cottage with its stainless steel windows. I took precautionary measures and had the entire house made bulletproof.

The black gate opened, revealing an elder man named Viktor, who I consider family and someone I can trust. I left the house in his hands to ensure it stayed in good shape, and judging by its sleek cleanliness, he did an excellent job. Viktor walked around the car and opened the passenger side door for Aria, who gratefully took his hand.

Using my index finger, I typed the code on the pad, and the door unlocked. The scent of a new home filled my nose, making me feel somewhat weary. I had the house built with a homely style, similar to the one back in New York, but this one was much safer and more spacious.

The sound of small feet padding across the floorboard caught my attention, and I saw my dog running towards me, but he stopped abruptly. He noticed Aria beside me, and his head tilted, scanning her with curiosity. His tail wagged vigorously, showing his happiness or excitement, though he might have also been a bit nervous as he didn't know her. I knelt down, gesturing for him to come to me, and he did.

He was a rare silver Labrador Retriever, a breed Viktor got for me. Viktor found him weak and malnourished during one of his walks, so he took him in and cared for him. Since then, he's been living with us, and Viktor has taken great care of him, considering he can stand at 19.5 inches.

His tail continued wagging as his attention returned to Aria. He left my arms and went over to her. I observed as she bent down slowly, patting the top of his head, prompting him to roll onto his back, requesting a tummy rub, which she happily obliged.

"He's adorable. What's his name?" Aria turned to me and inquired. "He doesn't have one," I replied.

Her head tilted as she redirected her attention to the nameless dog. I only had two pets in total, and both of them remained unnamed. There was a black cat back home in New York, a gift from Stella, and this dog. I hadn't given them names because I couldn't. I was cautious about forming strong attachments initially, but spending time with my cat gradually made me appreciate their companionship. Unlike humans, they weren't talkative or bothersome, and I didn't feel the urge to criticize or harm them like I might with others. They became a comforting presence and a true friend.