chapter seventeen

ARIA

THE CLOSET OVERFLOWED WITH CLOTHING, leaving me genuinely curious about how he managed to determine my sizes and preferred styles. Alongside the clothing, he had also left a phone, though I refrained from touching it. I left it untouched due to an overwhelming fear that had settled within me. The mere thought of grasping the phone, dialing my family's numbers, and acknowledging the reality was a terror I wasn't ready to confront.

I've been sitting here the whole time, my eyes never leaving the phone. My hands itched to grab it and dial any number that came to mind. But I couldn't. I just didn't have the courage to do it. The honest truth is that fear consumed me. The fear of hearing their voices, and equally, the fear of silence. I was afraid of the truth, afraid not to discover it. I was truly terrified.

Deep down, I clung to a sense of denial, desperately hoping that Ronan possessed even the slightest hint of sympathy and hadn't killed them.

A gentle knock was enough to draw me from my reverie, a welcome interruption. I turned my gaze towards the door, which swung open to reveal an elderly age man and a dog with a wagging tail. I slid to the edge of the bed and hopped down. The dog bounded over, and I stooped to pet its head.

"I've prepared breakfast. Join me downstairs," Viktor announced, a lazy smile gracing his face as he looked down at u. I agreed, and we made our way downstairs to the kitchen. The kitchen mirrored the house's overall aesthetic-predominantly black, white, and grey. The countertops and cabinets wore a sleek black, while the island displayed a grey marbled pattern, and the sink gleamed white. Subtle decorations added depth, with just a hint of white accents. I liked it.

I take one of the seat around the dining table, and Viktor places a plate in front of me filled with food. The dog standing besides me, tilts his head and I can't help but sneak him a piece of bacon. He happily eats it, his tail wagging even more this time.

"Is it a boy or a girl?" I inquire. Viktor takes a seat beside me, holding only a cup of coffee in his hand, which he then raises to his mouth.

"It's a boy," he responds.

I nod slowly, unable to resist analyzing the man before me. His features are well-maintained; his skin appears smooth, and his light brown hair is neatly styled, with a few strands of grey. A light stubble graces his face, also containing a sprinkling of grey hairs. He consistently wears a suit, and his chocolate brown eyes are adorned with tiny specks of freckles around his nose. He presents the image of an ordinary person-a stable life, seemingly devoid of worries. Yet, he's living in one of the most dangerous places in the world, tending to another man's dog and house.

"If you have any questions you'd like to ask, I'd be happy to answer," he interjects, pulling me from my thoughts. I take a bite of the food in front of me and offer a smile "Did you at least name him?" I shifted my gaze downward to the dog, gnawing on the stray bits of bacon that might have slipped from his mouth. He shook his head. "It isn't my place to name a dog that isn't mine, even if I had taken care of him for most of his life," he said, looking down at the dog, a smile finding its way to his lips.

I furrowed my eyebrows, trying to understand his words. If Ronan wasn't able to name the dog, why not just give it a name? I knew I wasn't the only one uncomfortable calling the dog "it" or "dog."

"How long have you known Ronan, and how did the two of you meet?" I asked. He finished the last drop of coffee in the white mug before setting it down and turning his body toward mine.

"I've been acquainted with Ronan for almost two decades now. We crossed paths when he was merely a malen'kiy mal'chik. I won't delve into the specifics of our encounter, as it's neither my place nor my story to divulge. However, understand this-him and his brother were among the most wonderful things to ever grace my life," his words brought a warm smile to my heart.

Viktor and I spent the rest of the morning getting to know each other. Unfortunately, our time was cut short as he had to attend to some personal matters. By the time he left, it was already getting close to nightfall. Throughout the time, I remained in the living area, watching television. After briefly flipping through several channels, I finally settled on a movie. The film portrayed a couple's journey and the challenges they faced after getting married. In the end, they managed to overcome their issues and love each other even more than before.

I've always found a comfort in watching or reading about other people's love stories, even though I know I'll never experience such things myself. There's something captivating about witnessing a girl attain the love of her dreams or a boy finally win over the girl he desires. It's the concept of love itself that appeals to me, despite my lack of personal experience with it.

Once the movie finished, I continued my search for something else to watch. However, my attention was immediately captured when I stumbled upon a classic 90s movie that my mother used to make me watch. It was the same movie she adored, and over time, I had grown to love it as well. I stared at the screen, trying to process the significance of encountering this movie tonight. Perhaps it was mere coincidence that this particular movie happened to be playing tonight, or maybe it was something more. Maybe it was a sign, a glimmer of hope from the angels above.

With a deep breath, I closed my eyes briefly, holding back the tears threatening to escape. I regained my composure and took a couple of deep breaths. As I opened my eyes, I reached for the remote and pressed the red button, plunging the room into darkness. Sitting alone in the dimness, I realized that it wasn't the darkness that frightened us; it was the prospect of being alone within it. The sensation of isolation, surrounded by an impenetrable void, knowing that there was no one beside us to offer comfort or protection, was the true source of our fears.

"Sitting in the dark is incredibly depressing," a voice interrupts my contemplative state, and I discern a fleeting shadow as a burst of light enters and then retreats. It's Ronan.

I'm uncertain of where he is, but all I can do is focus on his voice. "I find it peaceful," I respond.

"You perceive it as peaceful only because you haven't witnessed its darker aspects," he explains. His words strike a chord within me, although I'm not entirely sure where they resonate, as I struggle to grasp his meaning. "What do you mean?" I question. We lapse into silence for a few moments, broken only by faint shuffling.

"Have you used the phone yet?" he changes the subject, and my lips form a frown.

"No, I haven't," I reply.

"What did you mean by what you said?" I question once more. Again, we descend into deep silence, but this time, there's no response after.

And now, I find myself alone in the darkness once more.

・・・

I know chapters are short, but I don't want to give you all everything all at once.

I'm proceeding at my own pace with this book, as it holds a special place in my heart, and I'm truly putting my best effort into it.

I trust you enjoyed today's chapter. I have so much love for all of you. Thank you for the incredible milestone of 20k reads. It's truly unbelievable <3.