Fifteen: Aftermath

Why would Cherry do something like that?

She bid Janyna goodbye and headed to the locker rooms. Her teammates and coach awaited her and cheered for her loudly. She felt proud of herself and her team.
"You did amazing Trin." Ginny said hugging Trinity. She grinned at Ginny and hugged back extra tightly making Ginny laugh.

"Thank you." Trinity answered sincere. They parted ways and Coach K hugged Trinity as well.

"I just wanted you to know Trinity, that you were amazing out there. Regardless, I would have been proud of you and rest of the team. You put work in this coming year and I can't wait to see what happens at regionals. Get dress and have fun."

Trinity nodded and watched Coach K go in her office. She felt light on her feet and went to get out of uniform and shower.

She exited out the locker room with her damp curly hair and her team. She waved at them as they parted wishing a safe drive. She went to locker and rested against it. She took a big exhale and grabbed her other bag from her locker.

"Hey Trin." Cherry.

She closed her locker and turned to see Cherry with a friendly smile. She didn't trust it one bit.

"It's Trinity. What's up Cherry?" She placed the other bag over her big one and made eye contact with Cherry.

"I just wanted to say good game. I'm glad our school was able to win. I thought you would get distracted again you know like last year with your family issues." A strong pang filled her chest and she gripped the strap of the bag she had.

"I was going through a lot last year. Thanks for the reminder." She walked past Cherry to the stairs. She felt a hand grab hers. She side eyed Cherry who released her.

"I didn't mean it like that Trin. We all go through stuff and I know it wasn't your fault that we lost. I just wanted to congratulate you as well as Him too. I hope you aren't mad that I'm with him. I know you still have a massive crush on him. "

Trinity scoffed at Cherry, but decided to remind kind and polite.

She smiled at Cherry, "Not really. Thank you for the concern though Cherry. You should probably get back to him. Have a nice day."

She walked off before Cherry had any move to say. She headed down the stairs and out the double doors.  Her eyes widen walking past him. She felt like she would crumble just being near him.  She kept moving, not looking back.

"Good Game Trinity." She walked faster than ever. Given him a simple wave without looking back.

Her friends waited along with her family.

"Hey Baby!" "Hey my super star!" Her parents hugged and the her siblings who cheered her on.  This felt nice, being hugged deeply. She glanced over at Gem who didn't look her way.

She missed her best friend, her humor, her bluntness , and kindness.

"Now, Mia and Rock were just telling us about a hangout. I'm allowing it, but you better be back by 12 or else I'm hunting you down. You understand." Her mom gave her that stern look that eloped into a smile.

"Yes ma'am." She kissed her mom on the cheek and observed as they went into the car. She waved even though, they couldn't see her. She turned back to her friends and they engulfed her into a group hug. She loved this.

As they walked to the car, she told them what Cherry had said to her.

"She needs to get a life. She's always saying things to you. I bet she took him away because she knew of your crush."  Tree mentioned. Everyone looked over at her. She looked back, her small curls bounce as she titled her head to the side.