To persuade an expert

Jake's pov:

I'm sitting there, dumfounded, still a little woozy from my nap, facing this four-eyed mushroom-head. He looks so determined I can't help but be just as serious.

"Ahem," he begins. "I need your help."

"Sure."

I see my brief answers makes him anxious, but I don't know what to say.

"I need you to make me popular."

I retain a laugh. I have a hard time imagining this scruffy guy, with his bottle bottom glasses, bowl cut and plaid shirt, making girls swoon and other guys jealous.

But it sounds fun, so I smile and lean towards him.

"First, tell me why you came to me."

Oh.

That's cute...

He's blushing!

"You're the only one I could think of," he mutter.

"But why? Don't you hate my guts?"

"No!" I'm flattered at the energy put into this reply. "I do consider you my rival, but, on the contrary, it means I esteem you, no hate."

"One can go with the other. You have to esteem someone to hate them."

"Nevermind. I knew it wasn't a good idea," he sighs.

I start laughing.

"No, wait! I'm sorry, I was just teasing you. I'm just surprised. You never wanted to talk to me before."

"Why would you want me to talk to you?"

"I want everyone to talk to me. And I want to talk to everyone. That's why I do, and that's why I'm popular."
He looks annoyed, so I declare,
"This first lesson is for free!"

His eyes suddenly light up.

"Does it mean you accept!?"

"Haha! Yeah, I guess."
This guy is hilarious. This is gonna be fun!
"But what will you give me in return?"

"Well...what do you want?"

I can't help but laugh again.

"You didn't see this through, I see."
He rolls his eyes.
"Let's just say you owe me one. I'll think about what I want from you."

The entertainment is already enough payment. But this operation might be harder than it looks, so I'll keep this favour around for later.