12

TW: Mentions of depression and suicide. Please read at your own discretion.

○●○●○●○●

When the plane landed, Ghost grabbed the bag from the overhead and offered it to Ellie without a word. She took it from him and stayed back as they wanted for their turn to leave. Ellie glanced at Carlos as he and the girl he chatted with for the flight were laughing as they departed.

Sighing, Ellie pulled the hood of the sweater over her head as Ghost started walking down the aisle first. She followed suit, and he waited for her at the entrance to the tunnel. They didn't speak as they made their way through the bustling airport. Ghost's massive frame helped clear a path to the exit, so Ellie stayed right behind him instead of beside him.

When they stepped into the warm afternoon sunshine, Ghost stopped at the pick-up area and looked down at her. "Wait here," he stated. "I'll go and get my truck."

Ellie nodded and watched him disappear into the parking lot. As soon as he was out of sight, she walked up to one of the numerous taxis sitting on the edge of the sidewalk. "Excuse me, are you available?" she asked the closest driver.

"Yes ma'am," he replied, a kind smile on his old face. If he noticed her injuries, he didn't show it. "Where would you like to go?"

"The military base, about twenty minutes from here."

"You got it. Is that all your luggage?" He gestured to Ghost's backpack.

Ellie nodded and he opened his back passenger door for her. Thanking him, Ellie slid into the seat and put on her seatbelt as the driver started the taxi and headed for the base.

She set the backpack on the seat beside her, and let out a heavy exhale as the taxi started moving. The ride put her anxious heart at ease now that she was away from Ghost. Ellie fully expected Ghost to blow up at her when he finally realized she had left him behind, but that was a future problem.

She looked out the window at the familiar surroundings, and a felt a smile appear on her face despite the anxiety of meeting with the colonel filling her heart. She wasn't looking forward to talking to him, but she had to do what was best for her and her mental health.

The taxi pulled up to the gate of the base just under twenty minutes later. Ellie pulled the fifty dollar bill out from her phone case and handed it to the driver. "I don't need the change," she said as she grabbed the backpack. "Thank you for the drive."

"No problem, ma'am. And thank you for your service."

Ellie smiled and nodded to him as she clambered out of the car. She noticed one of the guards walk out of the small shelter where the gate control was, and she straightened her back. The soldier realized who she was and his eyes widened.

"Sgt. Collins," he said, saluting her.

"At ease, Corporal Yeo. It's good to see you."

"You as well. We heard that you were KIA back in Mexico."

Ellie shrugged as she readjusted the backpack. "I guess it was greatly exaggerated."

Yeo nodded and looked around. "Isn't Ghost with you?" he asked.

"Yeah... he will be. Listen, is the colonel here?"

The Corporal leaned into the shelter to speak with the other soldier, and they nodded. "Yeah, he should be in the office upstairs."

"Perfect." As she was about to head in, Ellie paused and looked at Yeo. "Fair warning, when Ghost gets here, he'll be mad. So your best bet is to just let him in without stopping him."