19

They stared at each other for a few seconds, neither of them saying anything. Ellie was still processing what she had seen, and now she was staring right at the man that tormented not only her foster father, but her heart. He looked tired, his clothes were wrinkly and it looked like he hadn't slept well.

After composing herself, Ellie asked calmly, "How did you get in?"

"Your porch door was unlocked."

Ellie cursed under her breath. She had gone outside for a swim just before lunch, and had completely forgotten to lock it. She fidgeted with the blanket and glanced down at her phone. "So that was why you up and left?"

Ghost only nodded slowly, wringing the mask in his hands. "I needed to be sure you weren't involved with me if anything went wrong," he explained.

"And did it?"

"No."

Ellie sighed and sat up in her bed. "You hurt me really bad, Simon."

"I..." He ran a hand through his ruffled hair. "I couldn't tell you, because you would've tried to talk me out of it."

"Not when it came to him," she retaliated.

"I wasn't taking any chances, Ellie." Ghost looked at her with a pained expression. "I couldn't."

Ellie chewed her cheek as she leaned on her knees. "There were better ways to approach the situation instead of just up and abandoning me like that." She saw his expression harden, and she raised a finger at him. "But, I am beyond grateful that you killed him. I just wish I was there to do some of my own damage first."

Ghost let out a quiet breath and rubbed his scruffy face. "He got what was coming to him."

Ellie nodded, and they stayed quiet for a moment. Ghost didn't step into her room, not until she would give him permission. Ellie was grateful he was being so patient. "You know Soap is going to kill you when you speak with him again," she explained, a small smile creeping onto her face.

"I'll deal with him when the time comes," Ghost replied.

Ellie tilted her head as Ghost avoided looking at her like a hurt child. "Come here," she said, patting the bed. He immediately stepped into the room and sat on the edge of the bed in front of her, as if it was what he had wanted. Ellie leans forward and looked his strained face over. "What's wrong, Simon?"

"You're afraid of me," he replied gruffly.

"What makes you say that? If anything, I'm still irritated that you just up and left without telling me."

Ghost's jaw clenched as he stared down at the mask in his hands. Ellie could see he wanted to say more, but his inability to explain his emotions was keeping him at bay.

"I still love you, Simon," she said quietly.

Ghost's head whipped towards her. "You do?"

Ellie gave him a small smile and nodded. "Yes. I still love you, you stupid son of a bitch."

Ellie reached out to him, and Ghost grabbed her hand, lifting it to kiss her knuckles. He held it to his lips and Ellie felt his shaky breath as it washed over her hand. "I thought that you'd be afraid of me..." he muttered.

She shook her head. "You killed a man for me, Simon."

"I'd do it again if you asked me to," he stated.

Ellie smiled and rubbed his scarred knuckles gently with her thumb, and Ghost clenched her hand tightly to his lips. She remained quiet and let the moment wash over her. She had him back, she had Simon back, and she prayed that he wanted it to work just as badly as she did.