21

"Ellie Collins?"

Ellie jumped as the nurse called her name. She was in a whole different place mentally now that she knew that she was pregnant. The past few days had not been easy on her mind. Most of the time, she had been concerned about how to tell Simon when he returned from the mission. He wasn't going to take it well, that much she knew. Would it be enough to make him leave her alone to raise it? Maybe.

Ellie stood up on shaking legs as she followed the nurse into the room, and she sat down on the plastic covered bed to wait for the doctor. She had booked an ultrasound the afternoon after she had tested positive, and her anxiety had not relaxed since she had made the call. Eating was difficult, but she forced herself to go to the store and get some food like she had planned, along with eat a meal even if it was small.

She looked down at her messages to Simon on her phone, and stared at the text that remained as a draft. "We need to talk when you get home" was all it said. She couldn't bring herself to send it to him, he had enough to worry about without her sending such a sketchy text not a few days after his departure.

The door to the room opened, and Ellie slipped her phone into her pocket. Dr. Holt was a woman in her fifties, with grey hair tied up in a bun and bright brown eyes that put Ellie's heart at ease. She had prominent crow's feet wrinkles and laugh lines on her head, but that was all that truly showed her age.

"Hello, Ellie, I'm Dr. Holt," she introduced as she shut the door behind her and settled into the chair beside the bed. "Congratulations, by the way."

Ellie gave her a weak smile and her hands wrung together in her lap. "Thank you."

"Do you know how far along you are?"

Ellie shook her head as Dr. Holt wrote something down on her clipboard. "I'm going to say maybe three or more months?" Ellie guessed as she thought back to before Simon's last mission.

"Okay." Dr. Holt wrote some more down. "Have you had any pre-natal care before?" Ellie shook her head. "Alright, we're going to get you set up with that after this. Do you have any concerns before we go and give you an ultrasound?"

"I do, actually." Ellie took a shaky breath. "I drank wine on the weekends, before I found out I was pregnant. Is the baby going to be okay?"

Dr. Holt smiled, and Ellie felt herself settle at the kindness she showed. "Did you drink very much?" When Ellie shook her head, the doctor continued. "We will keep an eye on your baby throughout your pregnancy, but I wouldn't be too concerned. If you drank heavily every day, then we would have much more to be concerned about."

"Okay," Ellie breathed.

"Is that all you're worried about?"

Ellie chewed her lower lip slowly. "I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to tell the father."

Dr. Holt tilted her head slightly. "Are you concerned that he will hurt you if he finds out?"

"No," she replied immediately. "It's more on if he'll leave me to raise it alone or not." Even if he hated her for choosing to keep the baby, Ellie knew that Simon would never hurt her because of it.

"We do have some information pamphlets we can give you before you leave that have some resources to help single moms." Dr. Holt clapped her hands and stood up from her seat. "Now, are you ready to see your little one?"

Nodding, Ellie got up from her spot and followed the doctor out of the room to the ultrasound room. A young nurse was waiting and she had a welcoming smile on her face as Ellie settled into the chair. "Ellie, this is Patricia, she's our ultrasound technician."