20 | parents

"We heard you were pregnant

"We heard you were pregnant."

Neveah had decided to do some food shopping as they had been running low on supplies at home with the Pack coming over constantly now that she was pregnant. She knew Jared was overprotective but she had not realised how protective the rest of the Pack were too. They took turns coming over for breakfast and made sure someone was with her when she left the house. Hence why she prayed that Jared would be right back from getting what he wanted to get.

"I don't think that's any of your business." Neveah replied.

Her mother scoffed and took a step closer to her, "You're our daughter. We have every right to know what's going on in your life."

Neveah rolled her eyes, "No you don't. You've made it perfectly clear that you want nothing to do with me and that includes my family. I don't owe you shit. I was a child and you turned your backs on me. I'm finally happy, why are you trying to get in the way of that?" The audacity they had to try and get involved with her life when they had made it every clear that they didn't want her to survive the accident. They had made it clear they didn't want anything to do with her so why would she tell them she was pregnant?

"Why didn't you tell us?" Her father asked softly. Neveah had always been the closest to her dad. After everything that had happened, it hurt to know the person that she cared about the most had turned his back on her. She was a child, what had she done to warrant such treatment?

"She doesn't owe you anything." Jared spoke from behind them. He sensed her distressed through the bond and would do anything to protect her. The moment he laid eyes on her parents, he knew why she was so distressed. She had made the decision a while ago to cut them off but clearly they had not gotten the memo.

"So you're the baby daddy?" Her mother sneered.

"You mean the man that's stood by your daughter since the moment he laid eyes on her? The man that asked to marry him and build a family? The man that had protected your daughter from anyone that hurts her? Then yes, I am that man. I would kindly appreciate it if you left. I will not let you hurt her." Jared growled as he placed Neveah behind him. He didn't trust either of them nor did he know their intentions.

Neveah's father took a step forward, grabbing his wife before looking at his daughter, "We don't want to cause a scene. I'm sorry."

"Sorry isn't going to fix everything. I'm done being the bigger person and just letting it slide. I deserve a happy life with the people that care about me. I'm done. If you want to have a relationship with me, something needs to change and its not me." Neveah explained.

"You're a child, you don't know what's best for you."

"Well, as my parents you have proven that you don't either."

"You sure you don't want to talk to them?"

Neveah sighed, "I don't owe them anything. I have been through enough in the last few years to want nothing to do with them for a lifetime. I don't have to be the bigger person. I'm getting married and having a baby so I'm going to focus on my family." She didn't owe anyone an explanation. Her parents had made their choice when they pretty much agreed that she should have died and her twin brother should have lived.

Michael nodded, "I know but they're still our parents. Don't you think you should at least sit down and have a talk with them?"

"No. I don't have to do anything. Why do you want me to talk to them? You know what they've put me through." She replied confused. She couldn't understand why her brother wanted to talk to their parents so much. He had been through so much with her and she had told him so much yet he wanted her to talk to the people that caused so much trauma?

"Truth is, we're talking again. Actually I'm only talking to dad. I know they've both said and done a lot but dad has actually apologised. He wants to make amends and Eden deserves to have her grandfather in her life. I know you owe them both nothing but at least talk to dad." Michael explained. Their parents never treated him the way they treated Neveah so he had no right to tell her to forgive them but he didn't want her to carry that burden. She didn't deserve that. He was not making excuses for his parents nor did he want to forget the way they had treated Neveah. However, their father had apologied, said that he wasn't looking for forgiveness and wanted to be there for them both in the way they needed. Their mother, however, was a different story.

Neveah sighed, "You're right, I don't owe them anything. I'm not ready to have a conversation with either of them. Please respect that." She wasn't ready to sit down with either of them but she knew she'd talk to her dad eventually. Her mother had never wanted a girl and she had made sure Neveah knew, especially with the way she treated her brothers so much better than her. Her mother resented the fact she lived and her brother didn't.

"And that's okay. I just don't want you to go into this new chapter in your life without telling them how you feel. They need to hear how they made you feel, how you needed them and they couldn't be there for you. You have turned into an amazing young woman and they had nothing to do with that. I am so proud of you." Michael spoke with a teary smile.

"Stop. You're going to make me cry."

"Please, with this pregnancy, you're always crying."