Chapter 102: Cloth Merchant

The more Klein thought about it, the more likely it seemed. Otherwise, who would have borrowed those random journal issues for no reason?

Yes, research regarding the main peak of the Hornacis mountain range is quite an unpopular field. Other than the corresponding lecturers and associate professors, the common hobbyist would’ve never heard of it. Even the original Klein, who was a history graduate, only knew about it from the Antigonus family’s notebook... Although Tingen is a city of universities, there wouldn’t be that many people who would interested in the topic. And even if there is anyone interested, most of them would remain within the university’s compounds. There would be no need to borrow the book from the Deweyville Library.

The most important point is that the book happened to be borrowed only recently...

By analyzing it this way, there really is a problem. I wasn’t sharp enough and failed to realize it... Sigh, it looks like I have no talent at being a detective or acting like Sherlock Holmes...

While these thoughts raced through his mind, the boss of Evil Dragon Bar, Swain asked in puzzlement, “Is there a problem?”

Since there were customers and bartenders around, he could only ask indirectly.

“Nothing at all. I’m just wondering how I can investigate this gentleman. As you know, Hanass Vincent died at his home.” Klein had long prepared his excuse.

He didn’t want to make the Mandated Punishers become interested in the ancient relics from the main peak of the Hornacis mountain range.

“Vincent was one of the rather famous fortune-tellers in Tingen City. He often came here.” Swain had indeed given a perfunctory answer, but as he recalled, he said, “Now that I think about it, the gentleman in the portrait did come together with Vincent at the very beginning...”

“That is exactly what I wanted to know. Do you remember his name?” Klein pressed immediately.

Swain shook his head and chuckled.

“I won’t ask for my customers’ names or identities unless I knew them to begin with, like Old Neil.”

“Alright then.” Klein deliberately revealed a saddened look.

To him, it didn’t matter if Swain knew, because he could check the Deweyville Library.

To borrow books from a privately-funded library, he had to leave personal information, and his identification must have had sufficient credibility!

After all, Klein had relied on an introduction letter from a Senior Associate Professor before he obtained a library card.

Even if the gentleman had forged his information, it is very likely that he left some clues which can be helpful to my divination... Klein watched Swain as he returned to the bar counter before entering the billiard room in deep thought.

He wasn’t in a hurry to head to the Deweyville Library for his investigations. He planned on completing his purchases first. After all, it was unknown if he would encounter danger and be required to use ritualistic magic for subsequent developments.

After passing through a few rooms, Klein arrived at the underground market. There were a few stalls and customers, a clear indication that it wasn’t peak hour yet.

Just as he took a step forward, he suddenly saw the monster, Ademisaul, who could smell the scent of death, standing in a corner.

The young man was pale, and his eyes gave off a hint of terror and madness. He had also noticed Klein as he looked over.

As they made eye contact, Ademisaul suddenly extended his hands to cover his face. He moved toward the corner of the wall in a panicked state.

Soon, he moved to a side door beside him and staggered as he ran out.