Chapter 113: Request

Mr. Azik can tell that I’m a Beyonder? His ability is truly powerful... Klein froze for a moment before he gave an honest reply.

“Yes.”

He thought for a while before adding, “Because of what happened to Welch and Naya.”

“It’s as I thought...” Azik sighed. “There were two people with extraordinary powers amongst the group of police that came to question me and Cohen.”

It was probably Captain and Leonard. They were in charge of Welch’s case... Klein nodded slightly, not interrupting Azik.

Azik raised his cane and said, “You should have entered their circle. I hope that you can help me search for clues of my origin. You do not need to go out of your way to do it, just note it down if you find any clues.”

Upon saying that, Azik wore a bitter smile.

“I don’t know any other person with extraordinary powers... You cannot imagine what emotions a man without a past has. You are like a boat floating in a vast ocean. The most terrifying thing is not facing a storm, but not being able to find a harbor. The inability to navigate to shore. All you can do is take on disaster after disaster, with no end in sight, never to feel peace and safety.”

No Mr. Azik, I know how it feels, for I am in a similar position. Fortunately for me, I have the memory fragments of the original Klein, as well as Melissa and Benson...Klein answered silently before he asked, “Mr. Azik, why didn’t you join a similar group when you possess such magical ability and search for clues yourself?”

Azik looked into Klein’s eyes and let out a self-deprecating smile.

“Because I’m afraid. I’m afraid of death.”

He sighed and continued, “I have gotten used to life like this. I like my life. I don’t have the courage to take that risk, so I can count on you.”

Klein didn’t say any more. He promised, “I’ll pay special attention if I come across any clues.”

“Alright, we should return to the office. Let’s have lunch together with Cohen when he’s done with work. Do you remember? The East Balam Restaurant in the university is quite good. Heh, my treat.” Azik lifted his cane and pointed to a direction.

My apologies, I really have no memories of that. How could the studying original Klein have afforded the East Balam Restaurant? Even if Welch was treating, he would still reject going to such an expensive place... Klein pressed on his hat and returned to the third level of the grayish-stone building which housed the history department with Azik.

A few steps later, Azik suddenly spoke.

“I’ll be on summer break after I finish settling all my work at the university. You can visit me at my house or write to me.”

Klein nodded and said casually, “Mr. Azik, I thought that you would head to Desi Bay for a vacation.”

“No, it is too hot in the south right now. I don’t like the so-called sunbathing. Look at my skin color; it tans easily. I’d rather head to the Winter County, to the north of the Feysac Empire to ski, sightsee, or hunt seals.” Azik, who had a copper skin tone, smiled as he replied.

I would too... Klein, who had just joined the Nighthawks, revealed a look of envy.

After lunch, Klein returned home and took a nap before beginning his revision and study of charms and amulets. He hoped to grasp them quickly to create objects that could at least be used in battle and help him.

When it was approaching three in the afternoon, Klein packed his stuff and sealed the room with a wall of spirituality.

...