↳ ❤ 𝑴𝒐𝒏𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑾𝒆𝒆𝒌 - 𝑽𝒂𝒎𝒑𝒊𝒓𝒆𝒔

[1400+ words]
[Gender-neutral]

[Part of a special Halloween prompt list. Day 1: Vampires]

{《☆》}

You brush your fingers down your coat, a thick fur coat Wilbur had gotten you especially for today, trying not to fiddle too much. Wilbur obviously caught onto your anxiety and took your hand in his, leaning down to press a kiss to your knuckles. His fangs ghosted over your skin, "No one will harm you, beloved."

"You will protect me, yes?" You asked softly, twisting to offer him your arm instead.

"Always," His teeth sunk into your forearm like butter, ice flooding your veins followed by a familiar numbness.

You relaxed back into the coach box's seat as Wilbur pulled back and your wound slowly mends itself back together. You bring your arm back to you and drag your fingers over where the wound had been. It's odd, you know you should be feeling something but your touch is dull and there is nothing but skin.

You remember the first time he had bitten you. It felt much different than it does now. His eyes much sharper, teeth puncturing twin holes into your neck. It hadn't been numb, then. It burned, like pressing you hand flat against an iron except through your entire body, a pain nothing could soothe.

It had been an accident the first time. He had gone mad in his hunger, devouring anything to satiate the gnawing desire to feed. You were just lucky that he had devoured a whole house of mice before he had found you. It's likely the only reason he didn't bleed you dry.

When he came to he had seemed so mournful as if the life of a stranger had meant so much to him as to cry when it's gone. But, by some miracle, you had survived. He had spent months nursing you back to peak health, a better health than you'd been in before he'd attacked, and sometime between then and now, you had fallen for each other.

With your consent, he had begun feeding from you periodically. Twice a week, supplementing the rest with the animals that had taken over the abandoned house next door. And with this arrangement came a meeting with a witch named Niki, who had given you a few talismans to protect you. They had helped to make Wilbur's feeding easier too.

Now, almost a year after meeting Wilbur and 4 months since you started dating, he wanted you to meet his family. You had, quite honestly, presumed Wilbur had no family until then, as he had brought up not a whisper or mutter of any family.

You agreed to meet his family but now that you were truly on your way there, not simply speaking empty promises, you were anxious. Wilbur had assured you that everyone in his family had proper control over their hunger but still, you couldn't help but worry. And on top of that, what if Wilbur's father didn't like your gift? Then you'd have made a bad impression on top of being dead, the horror.

Wilbur broke you out of your thoughts with a soft press to your hand. Being brought back to the present, you notice that the coach box has already slowed to a near stop. Your eyes drift to the beautiful five-story house (if you can call it that) with a thick, gothic-style stone archway, artfully decorated by a budding moss.

The door pops open and Wilbur is on his feet instantly, holding a hand out for you. You're almost mesmerized by the way Wilbur looks back at his home, with hair mused by the wind, a piece of his lip caught between his teeth.

Now it's your turn to press your hand to his, helping him find his footing. Wilbur's face softens and he offers his arm to you, "Shall we?"

"I suppose we shall," You go through the archway and the air instantly feels different. You can't place how but Wilbur takes a deep breath in like he's savouring clear air.