Fifteen

Scarlett

It's been a few days since I went with the Don to his mafia's sex dungeon or whatever the hell they call it. He came by my work the day after, oddly happy and content rather than his usual angry behavior. That's the last time I saw him. I've been busying myself once more with work, but for some reason he finds his way into my head every few hours. I even touched myself to the thought of him. I haven't done something like that since high school.

We had another victim yesterday in the emergency room. Same as the previous six girls before her. It sickens me to watch the number grow, I'm hoping the Don is investigating the situation the way he claims to be. I'm not sure how many more victims I can see before I lose my shit. It's draining, causing me to dread every day that I have to work.

It's Saturday today. Outside is cold and nasty. Wind and rain scattering the sky with vengeance. I hate leaving the house when it rains.

Dad called earlier to remind me of my unwanted date and his expectations.

"Dress nice, Scarlett. None of that hoodie and sweatpants bullshit. And do your makeup. No real man wants a woman who doesn't take pride in their appearance." His words continue to ring through my brain.

Part of me wants to wear the baggiest pair of sweatpants and hoodie I own, no makeup and hair in a bun simply to piss him off. However, my luck with his anger is slim and far between. It's one date, I'll let the guy down easily after.

Due to the weather I put on a pair of ripped jeans and a decent top. I let my hair run free in its curls. I put on makeup despite every cell in my body begging me not too.

The clock hits six, my phone vibrating at the same exact time. I groan, wanting nothing more but to curl up with a good book and listen to the rain.

"Hello?" I answer while putting on my boots.

"Scarlett? Yeah this is Jeremy. I'm outside whenever you're ready." His voice is smooth and he sounds kind. Maybe this won't be as dreadful as I'm preparing myself for.

"Hi Jeremy. Coming now!" I hang up and grab my keys before walking out the door. My dad is genuinely careless, seeing as I moved here so no one would know where I life yet he invades that part of my privacy whenever it's convenient for him.

An expensive car sits in my driveway, the headlights preventing me from seeing inside of it. It's that time of the year where six o'clock is dark.

To my surprise he steps out of the car, a smile on his face.

I take a second to scan his figure, paying close attention for any major red flags. He has on a white button up and a blazer, a nice fancy watch on his wrist. He's tall, more than a few inches taller than me.

He walks over to the passenger side door, opening it for me.

"Wow, what a gentlemen," I playfully comment as he grabs my hand and guides me into the seat. I don't think a man has ever opened the door for me. It's different, but it makes me ponder on why dad wanted this date to happen so badly.

"You hungry, mamas?" He asks as he backs out of my driveway.

"Uh, yeah. I don't think I ate today," I scan through the events of my day trying to remember if I had or not. Between the gym and cleaning my house I must've forgot.

"You don't think?" He chuckles. His arm flexes as he steers.

He is definitely attractive. There's a slight accent in his voice. His hair is buzzed short, tattoos covering the majority of what I can see up to his neck. He has diamond earrings in. His cologne fills the car up with comfort. Damn near the description of my type. I like a man who takes care of himself, physically and mentally. If he doesn't care for his own well being, why would he care for mine?