Twenty-Five

Scarlett

"Is he alive?" My mom pesters as I finish cooking dinner for her and my sister. I've tried to come see them more often, cooking dinner for them twice a week or so since the incident two weeks ago. My mom has been off, every time I'm here her hair is out of place and mascara is usually smeared around her eyes. It's alarming, seeing as she's always played the perfect housewife role. Perfect hair, makeup, clothes. That's just who she has been my entire life.

I glance over to her, my fathers shirt and some sleep pants covering her body. "I don't know," I sigh.

"You don't know? You still haven't explained anything, Scarlett! I'm losing my fucking mind between your father and your sister and you had the Don just walk into the hospital room like he owed it to you to save the day! The same Don who killed three men for looking at him funny last year when I went with your father in Denmark!" Her eyes look crazy as I watch her, trying to analyze her movements.

"He put his arm around you! Like he fucking owns you. I know these mafia men, and I know how they act when they have something that they want. You're fuck-"

"Yes, mom!" I slam the plate on the table, causing her to jump. "I am fucking the Don, are you happy now? What is that going to change in this situation?" Anger starts to bubble up in my core as my eye twitches. "A grown ass man was raping your daughter under your roof and you had no idea? None at fucking all, huh? You want to talk- let's talk about that," I swipe the plate off the table, the ceramic clashing against the floor and shattering the same way her heart did.

She begins to sob as I glance at the doorway, seeing Olivia standing there in nothing but a large hoodie and some shorts. Her face is void of emotion as she walks to the table, sitting down. Her plate still sits in front of her, untouched. She starts to eat as she raises an eyebrow. "Y'all done?"

"Fuck," I sigh out, taking a seat. I stare at the plate of pasta in irritation as my appetite dissipates.

"This is it. Yes, I was raped. Yes, Rick brainwashed me into thinking what we had was normal. Yes, I am traumatized. Yes, mom knew. It's over now, I'm fine and alive. Dad and Rick are not. Are we done now? Any more fucking questions?" My eyebrows raise at her language, seeing as she had always been more quiet and timid.

"I didn't know! I-I had my suspicions, but-" my mom starts to plead her case.

"But nothing. It happened. It's over. Pass the bread," Olivia groans, stabbing her food.

I sigh, the anger now turning into sadness. I grab the broom and the dustpan and clean up the mess I had made in my fit of rage.

An hour passes and I head home. Amir had to go and complete a deal in California, Axton going with him in a separate plane. I've learned that all of their bigger deals are always handled by one of them. If Axton starts it, Axton finishes it. If Amir starts it, Amir finishes it. Bigger deals typically mean smarter men and they like to keep their chances of being outed slim to none.

They left two days ago and are supposed to return tomorrow. It's been kind of lonely. I've seen them almost every day since we formally met. Saraphine spent the night with me last night, but her boyfriend called her early in the morning to come home because they were both off and he wanted to do something special for her.

Pulling into the driveway, I sigh in content. My safety. Parking the car, I glance up to the house and my heart stills. The lamp in the living room emits through the windows. My hands start to feel clammy as I open up the glove department and grab my gun I keep stashed in there. With shaky movements, I pull out the clip to make sure it's loaded before slamming it back in and cocking it back.