Thirty-Seven

Scarlett's POV

The incident with Tao was a week ago. Once I gathered my composure I had left the hospital and went straight to my men. They bought a new house since their cabin has hundreds of bullet holes through it. It's closer to the hospital now.

Once I confessed to them everything that had happened in the encounter with Tao, something in Amir snapped. He lost all of his composure and he left. Apparently he beat the shit out of all of the security that are on the same level as the emergency room, firing them afterword. He threatened each doctor, nurse, and nurse assistants only to get no answers. The hunt for Tao has doubled, almost every man they could spare has been put on a mission.

They've also been trying to infiltrate Jeremy's mafia to see what plans they have, seeing as Tao knew of them. This whole situation has spiraled. A rapist, mafias, murders. I'm not sure how it got this far.

But, what I do know is that it is so much more. Tao is working with someone in the backend and Jeremy has to have something to do with it. My mind considered Saraphine's boyfriend, but I dropped that thought as quick as it came. He wouldn't betray her like that, he wouldn't allow her brother to become a sick and twisted child molester. He loves her, I've known that since the moment they met.

I had to sit my mom and my sister down and tell them that father had passed. I didn't sugar coat it, as I probably should have. I told them the cold, hard truth. That Tao gave me a choice, and in that moment I said what I thought was right. Naively, part of me felt as if he was lying. That he just wanted something, any kind of reaction from me by using someone I loved. The video has replayed in my head sense, and I know I am to blame. Part of me realizes too that he would've never been in that position if he would've put his children before his money and before his career. My mom hasn't spoken to me since. I don't blame her.

Axton comes up behind me as I sit on their couch, book in hand. I close my eyes as he massages my scalp, taking a seat next to me. "You look beautiful," he hums, enjoying my presence. I glance down at my baggy sweatpants and my oversized shirt, raising my eyebrow. No makeup, hair a mess, I'm not sure what he's seeing.

He chuckles, shaking his head. "Princess, you can wear anything you choose and I'll still find you as attractive as you are in a skintight dress, or your scrubs."

My face flushes a bit. Axton isn't usually the sweet one, but I've noticed since the incident with Tao he's been much more clingy and caring. He cups my cheek, bringing my lips closer to his. "You know I'll never let anything happen to you, yes?" His words are a whisper that dance across my lips. The warmth from his breath sends comfort through my veins and I crave more. I want to be consumed by the serenity I receive from my men. I nod in response, his thumb caressing my cheek. "Words, princess. I need to hear you say it."

"I know that you'll keep me safe," I'm not sure if I'm assuring him or myself, but his lips curling into a soft smile clarifies that thought.

He slowly starts to push my body backwards, laying me softly on the couch. The book falls to the floor with a thud. He pushes my legs apart, situating him between them. Finally, he lets his lips connect with mine. The kiss is slow and soft, raw emotion being shared within the saliva of our tongues. I moan in content, gripping onto his shirt. He grabs onto my hair, deepening our kiss until my core is wet and throbbing with the thought of him. Axton tugs on my shirt, pulling it off of my body before connecting our lips once more, kissing down my throat. I move my head up, allowing him to taint my skin with invisible imprints of his lips.

His mouth reaches my nipple, groaning at the knowledge of my arousal. He takes one in too his warm mouth, rolling the bud with his tongue. His eyes meet mine as he lightly tugs on it with his teeth, earning a gasp from me as his willing victim. My other breast isn't ignored as he switches sides, nipping and sucking on the sensitive skin.