20

• AMALIA •

I open my bedroom door, and Elijah beams at me.

"Hi, angel." He says. The grin on his face widens. "Are you excited for tomorrow?"

     I nod, my smile wider than it ever has been before.

     "Did dad tell you I'm coming with you on the bus?" He questions. I shake my head. "Well, I am. Is that okay?"

     I nod again.

     "Dad and everyone else will drive up later to come watch you." He informs me.

     Everyone else? Are the rest of my brothers coming? Why would they come? They don't like me. I swallow the lump suddenly stuck in my throat. I wasn't that nervous before, but now I am. I have to be perfect; I don't want them to make fun of me.

     "Everything alright?" Elijah asks, bringing me back into the present. I nod quickly, and he smiles. "Did you eat all the food dad brought up for you before?"

     I give him a thumbs up, even though half of it is in the bin. I couldn't eat all of it—my nerves are growing and I can't hold that much food. But I didn't want to take it down to my dad, because when he saw that I didn't eat all of my lunch he looked so disappointed, and I felt bad.

     So I lie.

     He grins again. "Good girl. Are you getting ready for bed?"

     I nod.

     "Okay." He says. "I'll let you go to sleep, then. Can I have a hug before I go?"

     I wrap my arms around his waist, and he lifts me up so my legs are dangling before spinning me around. I laugh, and I feel him grin above me. He sets me down after a second.

     "I'll see you tomorrow, angel."

     I wave goodbye to him, and he smiles before leaving.

Until sunset to sunrise, I don't go to sleep. I keep my door locked and put my headphones in, playing my solo music. Now that I know my brothers are coming, I can't mess up. I need to be perfect. I need to win.

• ELIJAH •

When I walk into Amalia's room, she's already wide awake and reading a book at her desk, still in her pyjamas. She looks over at me and smiles, her adorable little face shining with excitement.

"Good morning, honey." I say. "Do you wanna start getting ready? I thought we could get McDonalds breakfast on the way to your dance studio."

She nods. Sure, Elijah. That sounds great. Thanks for being the most amazing brother in the whole entire world. I love you so much.

No problem, Lia. I love you too.

"Okay, great. I'll meet you downstairs. Don't forget your dance stuff, alright?"

     She nods again, smiling.

     "Make sure you bring some stuff to occupy yourself on the bus." I say as I leave the room, shutting the door behind me.

     I walk downstairs into the living room, where my dad is sitting on the couch on his laptop. He looks up and smiles.

     "Amalia awake?" He questions.

     "Yeah, she's getting ready." I respond, dropping down onto the couch across from him. I'm about to swap the channel when he speaks again.

     "Try make sure she eats a lot today. She'll be using a lot of energy. And try encourage her to go to the other kids. I don't think she has a lot of friends there. I don't want her to feel left out."